Sunday, February 26, 2006

Plastic Explosives and Transmissions With the Same Name: Coincidence???


Looks like I'm going to have to take the car into a shop. Sometime the week before last "park" stopped working. I've had several cars with this exact same kind of transmission, and I've never heard of this problem. I've had where it doesn't make it to park, stops before it gets past reverse, but this goes past reverse. It acts like its in neutral. Fortunately, the emergency brake kicks ass, but still, living on a street with what is probably a 10% grade, I'm not comfortable relying on that. I finally got a chance to jack it up and look at the linkage and stuff yesterday, but everything is as it should be down there. Actually, every time I get under that car I'm amazed how clean it is under there. I hadn't had a chance to look at it last weekend with driving my sister around and dealing with my boy's birthday party. My dad has a guy in his auto body class who is a manager at a transmission shop, and the first thing he said when my dad related the problems to him was linkage, which was also the first thing I'd thought of, too, but no, that's not it. I'll probably take it to his shop next Friday and have him take a look at it. Really hate to have to do that, because I have a feeling that the prognosis will be for a rebuild, but other than not parking right it runs great, flawlessly, crisp, firm upshifts, well timed downshifts....

Did I ever make mention here of having to re-install my son's operating system on his comp here??? I can't recall. I know I did when I got my new motherboard and processor. Anyway, the reason I mention is because last weekend I had picked up a 3 user pack of Norton Antivirus for both the boy's and my wife's comps. For years they've been running without anything, and so far have faired OK. There used to be a couple of good online antivirus sites, but now they'll do a free scan but not any removal or repair. After my wife installed it on her machine, she had lots of video problems, so I scrubbed an extra hard drive (kind of small) that I had laying around and did a clean install of Win XP on it, then installed the antivirus and service pack 2 and all the drivers for her tuner card and CD burners and everything. No problems now!!! I slaved her original drive today and she got her music and picture files off it, then I formatted the original and cloned the small drive onto the original. I guess with 4 comps, having to re-install an operating system every once in a while is to be expected, but it seems like I've been doing a lot of that recently!!! Her comp is really pretty amazing, its only got a 700mhz processor with 384mb of ram and onboard video, but the thing really runs great!!! Its the little engine that could!!!

I read Granny's comments earlier today that she'd been making beer bread, then a little later I chatted with her a bit. When I had read that comment it had gotten me thinking... Hmmmm, I've got one bottle left of that really tasty Michelob Amber Bock in the fridge... bet that would make some really tasty beer bread!!! Know what??? It did!!! Thanks Granny for the inspiration to do that!!!

3 comments:

Lilly said...

i knew you sounded like something was troubling you last night. i heard it in your voice. i'm good aren't i? glad you got all that shit done, and survived. heres to a better week!

gosnw = giant odd stupid nuts whine.

susan said...

Tramsmission problems, to computer cooking, to making beerbread, all in one post. Aye, you are somekind of guy...nice.

me said...

Hey Aye, thank God you didn't get your ball caught in the puter or the tranny! Poor Seren. You wear a lot of hats!
Good luck with the car!
: )

kkapt: Kind Kats are pretty tame