Monday, March 27, 2006

Smoke Screen


I was helping Sammy out at work today by cutting out a die plate for him on my CNC. The main part that needs cut is an 1/8" aluminum plate, and it is backed up by a piece of 5/8" die board (which is basically plywood with very thin layers of wood, about double the amount of typical plywood) The only minor complication with doing this is that I can't run the flood coolant while I'm cutting it or the die board gets soaked and ruined. I was using a can of aerosol cutting fluid instead. Only thing about doing it this way is that it makes a lot of smoke!!! I was cutting it in three passes, and after each one adding more cutting fluid. About halfway through it looked quite a bit like when you open up an industrial sized smoker barbecue in there!!! The owner came over with a very concerned look on his face. I said to him, "looks bad, doesn't it???" He asked what was happening and I explained to him. He was thinking that next time I should cut an extra board and cut it out before, then cut the aluminum with the flood coolant going, and throw that board away afterwards!!! He just doesn't get it, I don't think.

3 comments:

Serenity said...

Where there's smoke, there's an Aye at work! :) Yeah, tell your boss to get with the program. lo

Hiya Aye, Hiya Naomi

dhnla: don't hate nobody, love all

hey, that one was pretty nice :)

me said...

Yes, what Naomi says!

Damn it!

Hello Girls and Aye!
Just chirpin by!!
bzenbhb: Geez whats with the b's?
ok
Big Zelda enticed Norman baby happily beggin
lame ; (

Lilly said...

i tried to post on this the other day and it wouldn't let me.
I forgot what i said now, but it went something like the boss prolly figures you and sammy are gonna burn the mutha fucka down or something. where there's smoke.. well u know. haha.

ojujw - oscar jumped under jimmys wig!