Sunday, March 12, 2006

Headlights in the Mirror


I peered at my darkening instruments through the gloom. The voltage was lower than ever, near to the bottom peg. Not good. I was pushing her faster than I should, faster than is really safe on the narrow, slightly winding two lane blacktop. I gave her a little bit more. The road was deserted at 4:30 AM and this was a dire situation. I could tell something was amiss in the electrical, but I wasn't going to stop to figure out what, because I knew I would be stranded. Only a little more than a mile from home, I hoped the battery would hold out until I made it.

70+ in a 30 zone. Here comes the stop sign by the school. I braked hard. I wanted to make it back, but I wasn't going to go blowing a stop sign. Just as I started braking I saw lights coming up from behind me, and fast. A million things ran through my head. One major theme: whatever this was, it wasn't good.

The past couple of days had more than their share of "not good" moments, in my opinion. Being thrown in jail was currently at the top of the list, but being thrown in jail a second time would surely trump that. Fifty thousand dollars bail. An even tie for the highest bail amount of all the other common criminals, drunks and addicts in the overcrowded cell. The other guy who got the same bail amount was a gang member, arrested for suspicion of murder. We were processed at the same time, so we had a double bond of sorts.

Being released on my own recognisance after twenty three hours was the high point. I missed a day of work and was headed in early because I had already been behind before the long weekend. Now this, my car running only on its rapidly draining battery and impending doom closing fast from behind. I did not think I would make it in a whole lot earlier than the normal time, if at all.

I stopped at the sign, looked both ways, and proceeded like I had some sense. Headlights had stopped behind me, and as I pulled away the whole light show that I had suspected was lurking in the blackness above came on. I pulled over to the side of the road and killed the power-sapping, rapidly dimming headlights. I knew I was expected to turn off the engine, too, but I could not bring myself to do so. There was insufficient juice to roll down the window, so I opened the door and got my hands out where they could be seen. An amplified voice commanded me to turn off the car, and I bellowed a reply offering my reasons why I wasn't doing so. The officer stepped forth warily and tenatively gave heed to my explanation. He quickly verified that there was no one else the car.

I was queried, something to the effect of "WTF is going on here???"

"My car is wounded, officer. I don't know exactly what, but I'm trying to get her home before I have to find out what towing companies are open at this hour."

"May I see your license and registration??? Am I going to find anything.... interesting when I run them???"

*Nervous, uneasy laughter from me* "Ummm, yea, well, actually.... You see, I was released on my own recognisance not even ten hours ago... trumped up charges, I don't think the judge will give me a minute more of jail time when the facts of the case come out..."

"What happened???"

"Long story, but in a nutshell...."

"You were really flying coming down the street here"

"Yes I know. I was trying to get it home before it dies completely."

"Wait right here for a minute."

He retreated to the shelter of his cruiser. After a rather short period of time he returned with my papers in his hand. He sighed heavily.

"What should I do???"

"I would REALLY appreciate it if you let me get my car home before it dies completely and let me switch cars and get myself into work."

He considers for a moment, looks down at my papers, then hands them back to me.

"OK, that's what I'm going to do. Watch your speed and be careful."

"OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO ME!!!"

4 comments:

Granny said...

WOW....
Glad ya got outta that one Aye...Was good reading but, whewww.


FVPBQCIH: Fearless Velma Pushed Boobs Quickly Comeing, I Hear...

me said...

Hey Naomi, just dropped by to say hi! Don't sweat it...water under the bridge...misunderstanding and all.Your very sweet.
: )
yssuovj: yesterday serves smiles uniquely opens vast joys

me said...

Oh and Aye! I'm very happy to hear that that, "little angel on your shoulder" whispered in that cops ear!

*big smiles*

oh no word ver again! I'm all word vered out hehe

ok here goes:
rkkbasrf: rabbitt kathy kane bathed asses scratching rumps fiercely! Hahahahahahahaha

Aye said...

LMAO @ Pank's word verification!!!

IHNKIJ = I had no knowledge, it jerked!!!