Friday, March 10, 2006

Reboot


I got to work today, wrote a little program for my Fadal CNC, and tried to send it on over.... It wasn't such a big program, only around 1800 lines, but it filled up the memory and choked it. In order to delete it and clear out the memory I had to erase some lines so I could even put a proper title line on it!!! Having done that and then deleted the part that did make it over, I attempted a defrag to see how much room I had. It only showed 47% available after the defrag. WTF??? It should have something like 98%!!! I messed with it some more, but it wasn't getting any more. Having a program exploded in pieces and my machine's memory half full of ghosts, as well as a couple other things, put me in a bit of a foul mood early on today. I walked around to the back of the Fadal and threw the big knife switch, then rebooted it, then took a break and ate and skimmed the newspaper. When I came back, I had recovered all my memory and everything worked right. In fact, it worked out well because I split the program into two stages instead, and that was good because just the half of it ran for a few hours!!!

Would it not be nice if we could do that to ourselves when things aren't going quite right??? Just throw a switch and reboot for a clean start...

2 comments:

Lilly said...

worked for me aye.

tpocyq = twirling pank octopus yawned quietly.

me said...

That is my worse puter fear! I always forget to back up too! I have had the same puta for years had so many more, but I keep using the same one! It has everything in it!! I love me pute, we go back a long way.
I love your metaphor Aye,.....

"If only".

hello Lilly
couvdqhu: Cathy once used Vera's dang quietly hunching underwear