Friday, November 04, 2005

Meet Marvin

We have a new maintenance guy at work. His name is Joe, he's an older guy and seems at least semi-competent. Only thing is, he leaves crap all over the place, wherever he's been working, which is mostly the whole plant!!! Just about everyone has noticed this and commented on it. While I was working the other day, I was thinking about him and remembering that old commercial that had the kid 'Messy Marvin'. Later on that night Sammy came in to do a little change over on a job, and we went out for some tacos at our normal place (there's a funny story I'll have to share about the first time we went there sometime). I told him how I was thinking about that, and that Joe's new nickname could be Marvin. He was amused by the idea. The next day I was looking for Joe and I asked Sammy if he'd seen Marvin. He knew exactly what I meant. Today Sammy came up to me and tells me "We've been overlooking the obvious, we don't need to call him Marvin. 'Sloppy Joe' is perfectly fitting!!!"

Sammy went for his first flying lesson last Friday. He did quite well, and was pretty buzzed about it all the way through until at least Monday. That's pretty cool.

I was cutting my next tool on my CNC today. Using the Bobcad software I've got on my machine tends to make a somewhat fucked up tool path. Oh well, gets the job done, and I'm learning a lot more of actual editing of the code this way. The owner came by and was watching it go. I asked him what he thought, and he replied that it beat doing it manually. I agree. Then I asked if he didn't think that I was deserving of a raise since I'm now a CNC programmer, set up guy, and operator. He said "we'll see". It's been a while since I've gotten anything, so I suspect that I will be seeing something anyway. Probably less than I'd really like, but half of something is better than all of nothing. At any rate, I just am glad that I'm doing this type of work now. I'll just get some time of experience in then take my mad CNC skillz elsewhere, hopefully with a less hellish commute, if I'm not reasonably compensated. He asked if I could come in tomorrow, he's stressing a bit about a couple of jobs in the works. One of which we have none of the necessary equipment for the machines to actually produce parts off. Not my concern!!! Not especially looking forward to going in, but it should be an easy day *knock on wood* as I've got the whole job already programmed. All I have to do is feed the program in and baby sit it while it does the hard work. I'll carry my phone with me and play games and text people while I'm sitting. Not that I ever get replies to my texts, but oh well. No love for Aye. Double-Ott slugs, no love, straight thugs.


Got a different rental car again this week. There was some sort of safety recall going on with the Maliboomer, so they wanted it back. Now I'm rollin in a Kia again. A lot nicer than that first piece of tin shit they rented me at first. It's an Optima with a V-6, I think the same powerplant as the Hyundai had, but the whole car seems a bit smaller all around. It has 4 wheel discs and a few power doodads. No remote entry, no power antenna, no driving lights, no sunroof.... but those are the only things that seem to be missing. It has a great color, a deep cobalt blue. So far I like it. I've got to get some legal going on this, it's taking far too long.

No Rockstar for me tonight. Being as I have to work tomorrow, I got a different drink tonight. Its called Fuse, and it has all kinds of vitamins and minerals in it, but not all the caffeine and amphetamines that Rockstar has. Fairly tasty, I could drink it again. I still feel fairly awake, but I know I must get my ass to bed.

No comments: