Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Desperation


I was actually surprised that I was able to compose yesterday's post. It was rather late when I did so. I was up watching the adaptation of Stephen King's "Desperation" until 11:00. I read this story for the first time a bit over a year ago, and it was good enough that I read it again, and now I may yet again. I think a lot of the reason I had had a block on reading it before this was the way it came out when it was new. It was released at the same time as Richard Bachman's "The Regulators", and both stories had almost the same characters and some similar elements. For those of you that don't know, Richard Bachman was a pseudonym that Stephen King published five novels under before he died of the rare and deadly cancer of the pseudonym. I read and enjoyed these books after his death, but the release of yet another book, postmortem, with the release of Stephen King's latest was way too hokey and contrived for me to buy into. In retrospect, I should have been more open minded, I enjoy most everything either of them write.

There seemed to be very little fanfare to the airing of this movie. I was wondering how it would adapt to the small screen, some stories do fairly well, and others die a slow death. Of course, there is the matter of how to get in all the detail that was in the book in a three hour show (likely less than 2 ½ if you discount the commercials). I have to say, they did a great job!!! One of the best adaptations of a King story I've seen. Of course, not every little nuance made it in, I am fairly sure that one character was completely omitted, as well as many details. I'm going to have to go back to the book and check it out to see if I'm right, and what else was missed when I finish my current read (the protagonist in my current read reminds me in many ways of my freind Sammy, think I'll loan it to him when I'm done).

The thing I wonder about though, is there going to be an adaptation of "The Regulators" now that this one has been made into a movie??? I would love to see that, could use many of the same actors.... Might not be as easily done, though. A higher level of suspension of disbelief.

Before I purchased this book I was looking at it in a bookstore, reading the foreword, written by Stephen King. In his describing the two stories he made mention that "Desperation" was about God, and "The Regulators" was about television, so you could say that both were stories about higher powers. I hope he is appreciating the irony of this one having been made into a made for TV movie!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard Bachman and Stephen King are the same guy right?

Lilly said...

the only way to determine if someone is dead is to chicken-flick them on their temple in their casket.

me said...

LMAO! Lilly

I'm wondering if I should read this book Aye, it looks scary.

tkpuyw: Oh, I don't know...sorry
lazy today all I thought about was Tupac
lol...God rest his soul

Lilly said...

pank, LMAO! you are allowed to do word ver's about tupac. haha.. never apologize for thinking about tupac, dear. you are among friends here, and aye and i are fans.

PS true story about the chicken flicking in the casket. It's how we do in our family.....

me said...

OMG, I can just imagine the chicken flicken lol! I would die if anyone eva saw me doing that to the dead LOL!

Thanks for the laugh and not getting offended at the tupac remark.
lol

uppgaw: ummm, peter Piper gave a whack!

Lilly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aye said...

Pank, this book is tres creepy, but to me it was so well written that it didn't matter. Guaranteed to make your skin crawl, but still highly reccomended!!!

Lilly, I was hoping you'd tell a bit more of the chicken-flicken story, without the back story it kind of leaves you wondering, you know??? I was thinking it would make for a decent post on yours.

MEEVXZH = Must Edward, ever vigilantly, eXhume zerps humorously???

me said...

Lily Laughed my f'n ass off at that story, you have to post it LOL

OMG that was so funny.

AYe, I really get so scared from scary movies and books, big damn baby I am. I would be checking the doors every five minutues lol. But I did just purchase some books on Ebay to read this summer. I'll check to see if this book is in the store. I started off just wanting to buy one book and I'm almost up to 20 bucks LOL but my birthday is coming up, so I treated myself. I'm gonna check for the book. Thanks!
: )

Hope Naomi and the kids are doing good!
nybcha: Naomi yerns big cuddly he-man aye

LOL!!!!

Lilly said...

ok aye.. i've moved it. sowwy.. just got carried away.

Aye said...

Oh yea, anonymous, they are one in the same.

No need to apologize, Lilly. I'm OK with you putting whatever you feel on here. I'm glad the story was told.

EBVXDOTQ = Evolving bedward, valiant Xavier does only true queens