Tuesday, May 23, 2006

419, Anyone???


419 refers to the section of the Nigerian criminal code wherein people are typically conned out of their money by means of the promise of a big payoff. Over the weekend I received in the mail a letter informing me that I was the winner of $80,000 in unclaimed winnings. Yea, right. It informed me that to collect I should call a phone number that begins with a 950 prefix. Think that won't show as several dollars a minute on my phone bill??? I would have 48 hours in which to process this, and it is only valid until the 28th of this month. What a load, huh??? The letter originated out of the country, from Ontario, Canada. Didn't even have my name and address on the actual envelope, just on an adhesive label stuck to the front. If my spidey senses weren't tingling before, they sure were when I saw that. The whole thing seems hinkey and damned unlikely. I would have thrown it straight into the recycle bin if it wasn't for the kicker.

Here's the kicker: Also enclosed in the envelope was a completely legitimate looking cashier's check for $3900, to be used for the processing fees.

I'm thinking I'll just cash that and call that good enough.

7 comments:

Granny said...

Let me know how that works out for ya...


PLIKTH: Please Let Iccabod Keep Tasting Honey..

Serenity said...

Wow, you so lucky Aye, I won $25mil, but didn't get a cashier's check to cover the processing fees. Some folks are soooo lucky! :D

The sad part is thinking about how many people have fallen for this con.

me said...

Don't cash it, it is a way for them to get your signature and bank account number. (you probably already knew that) lol

eargo: ear go!!!

Lilly said...

512 will kick 419's ass.

Aye said...

Thank you all so much for your words of congratulation and warning!!! Thanks also to Claudia from the USPS inspectors office who returned my call today. She had no listing of this company, but said it was most certainly a fraud. The check is probably a forgery and they would request a wire tranfer of the fees before it was returned. She's gonna send me a fraud report form to fill out.

However, I had an idea on the way home tonight, as I was driving past one of these places that cash checks for the mexicans around here, for a small precentage of the check's value.... I'll keep you posted...

VEBPEY = Vera explanined, "Bully, please examine YOURS!!!"

Lilly said...

"However, I had an idea on the way home tonight, as I was driving past one of these places that cash checks for the mexicans around here, for a small precentage of the check's value.... I'll keep you posted..."

haahhaa aye.. good thinking.
mieng had one of those stores, she sold it though. lots of bad checks.. SURPRISE! Those damn crazy mexicans.. haha..

Aye said...

A follow up, MONTHS later:

None of the check cashing places would touch it, either, as wouldn't the bank it was drawn on!!!