Sunday, August 21, 2005

Speed, Heavy Balls and Live Music

As promised, my good friend Sammy took me out last night for a boys night out. We started out by going to a go-cart track in Carson near the Goodyear blimp airport that I've seen forever but had never been to. It was fairly awesome, we had a lot of fun. The carts could have been more powerful, and in better repair, but it was great. There's an oval slick track, a turbo track, bumper carts, and a big track (super track, I think they called it). We got 90 minute wristbands, but they let us go on one after they'd expired. We ended up going on 7 different races, and kept it pretty even. Going into the last one we were 3 and 3, and I won the last one, but it wasn't really a clean win so I didn't want to claim it. Kept us even too!!! After that we went back to his house, and I was hearing live music being played, and it sounded pretty good. We discussed going and finding where it was coming from, but we wanted to hit a bowling alley too, and it was getting late. (The go-carting was planned, but the bowling was spontaneous, even tho we'd discussed going bowling sometime) We went and bowled 2 games, which I took him both games, which kind of surprised me. Neither of the games was real high scoring for me, but he was showing me technique, so I wasn't playing my usual game. Of course, we'd both had some to drink. I don't even remember the scores, but I was at 99 going into the 10th frame where I spared, then got 6 or 7 more. What does that make, 115 or something??? They were closing soon, but we stopped in the bar and listened to part of one karoke song. Sammy had told me about how it was all black people in there when he'd gotten beers for us and was saying I should go in and sing something. I said, "yea, but what would I sing??? I know, I'll do Lou Reed's "Take a Walk on the Wild Side"!!! You know, I'd be singing, "and the colored girls go...." LMAO!!! Got back to his place again, around 1:30 or 2 maybe, and the live music is still going on, so we decided to go check it out. It was coming from the church across the street. I said, "its gotta be Methodists, because Baptists don't swing like that!!!" I figured it was going to be a youth dance or something. There were 4 guys at a table outside and we asked if we could go in. They said sure, and we went in. Turns out it was just the 5 guys in the band playing up on the stage in a little gymnasium. We listened for a while, then Sammy was saying that the electric guitarist wasn't that tight with the rest of them, I should go up and tell them I'm an agent from North Hollywood and I have a guy with a Les Paul who they should try out, etc. I could not do it with a straight face. We went up and talked to them some, and Sammy was critiquing them and giving 'em pointers and stuff. There was no one running their board, so I went up into the loft and was tweaking the settings, Sammy was directing me by waving his arms around and such. They improved significantly. Sammy has a much better ear for such things than me. He got up there and played on the drums a little, and the electric guitar some. It was pretty amusing, we did tell them we were with Star Enterprise records. Ended up not getting home until around 3:30, which threw off my day and explains why I'm blogging at 2 in the morning!!!

No comments: