Friday, June 17, 2005

Talking of things coming in threes...

Yesterday we had yet another earthquake. I was at work when it happened, not everyone felt it but I did. A bit disquieting when they start because your wondering if its going to increase. I went to the USGS site and put my comments on the "did you feel it?" page. That makes 3 this week, the middle one being up north and offshore, so I didn't feel that one, but it did trigger a tsunami warning.

Hey 1Eyeball, (love that name, BTW, and I'm glad there's a few people who are reading this) saw your comment. No, dad's car isn't a total loss, it actually looks to me like it fared some better than the Scirocco in some ways. Namely, it doesn't seem to have any frame bending like the Scirocco does, and there seems to be a larger supply of replacement parts available for it. Also, I think it'll have a value higher than mine. It is pretty bad, but I think there's no question it will be rebuilt. There's even a chance it could have fiberglass fenders and hood, lightening up the front some and making the body mods... Different, I don't know if they'd be easier, but they'd be a different process. I came up with the idea that what I'd like to do when I get settled with the insurance, is I'd like to find a '74 with clean quarter panels and swap the doors and fenders and hatch and anything else needed (i.e. fuel injected motor) into it. The primary motivation is to get something I don't have to get smog checked every two years. Who knows, I may even locate a 16-valve motor in the future, or one of those sixes or who knows what, but that'd be in the distant future.

I took my VCR back again today. Don't know if I've made mention here, but don't buy Sony VCR's either. I bought this one at the end of January, and it lasted maybe a month, got it repaired (2 year service plan, I aint no fool, NOBODY makes decent VCR's anymore, with the possible exception of maybe Toshiba or Magnavox), it broke again a few weeks later, got it repaired again, it broke again a few weeks later.... Got the manager to authorize an exchange that time. A week and a day later, that one breaks!!! Apparently, Sony cannot make VCR's anymore. This time I got them to OK exchanging it for a different brand. The only other brands there were Panasonic (which I have had bad luck with in the past, 2 VCR's in 2 months) and Magnavox. So, I'll let you know how it does. It was $20 less than the piece of shit Sony, so I ended up getting a bit of store credit :)

I went down to the Red Cross today and donated blood today. I get such a good feeling from eating their cookies and drinking their juice :Þ

No comments: