Sunday, June 12, 2005

Just a reminder, this is earthquake country

A report from right in the heart of it. No damage. No real sign at all to speak of, actually. I think I was the only one in my household who even felt it. It felt like there was a little shift in the house, maybe just a little creak.... I stood still to see if I was feeling what I though I was feeling, and was trying to see if it looked like anything was moving and listening for any other creaks, but there was too much racket and motion going on with other people moving around in the rest of the house. I forgot about it and went on about my morning. Didn't even think of it until I talked with my mother later in the day, and she made mention of it. Guess they felt it a little more down in Long Beach. I'm not sure if it has to do with the composition of the earth here or what, but usually you cant even feel when the earth moves up on my little hill here. Hope it remains that way forever!!!

Went down to Long Beach today, my parents took us all out to Red Lobster to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was the first time either of us had been there, and we were not disappointed. I've got until Tuesday to get anything for her. She had wanted a new comp chair, but then she changed her mind and said she wants to get a perm instead. Either one would have been fine with me, but I wont have to go out and shop this way, so that's cool. Did end up stopping in at Big 5 sporting goods to buy myself some new shoes (the old ones were getting a hole in the side) and ended up getting a pair of the same kind for her, so she can take that, too.

We visited her grandmother afterwards. First time since she's moved into this assisted living community. She's got the alzheimers, and although she's usually pretty lucid, a lot of times she'll answer questions with "I don't know". She seemed to like her apartment there just fine, and was glad to see us. If you've ever been in a suite in a real nice hotel and have thought to yourself, "I could live here", you've got a pretty good idea what her place is like, only slightly larger quarters. Wonder if they have a minimum age requirement to get a place there???

No comments: