Friday, September 01, 2006

No Escape???


This is one of the keyboards at my work. Does that mean there is no escape???

7 days. One week to the day. For anyone who wondered about my previous post 'Mark it Down', that was the day I decided that I was done with working there. I was updating my resume and getting it out there, hopefully to find a place much closer to home so I don't have a 52 mile commute every day, to find a place that would pay me a salary commensurate with what a CNC programmer, set up man and operator should be paid. Last time I had a raise, gas was less than half what it is these days, and I was doing nowhere near the skill level of work that I'm doing these days. I have thought of getting out for a while, but the longer you have actual CNC experience, the more marketable you are. That was the main reason I'd not gotten off my ass and started this sooner. The company I've been working for is a joke. They are fiscally mismanaged. Getting the necessary raw materials has been a problem for some time now, and recently things have gotten worse. Events of that day that I marked down brought things into a much sharper focus and clarified my course of action.

The last few weeks since before I took my vacation things have been rather busy in the tooling department. Last week I ended up doing almost 51 hours in four days. This week it was 49.5 hours in four days. Around mid day they started calling some of us higher ups into the office, one at a time. A bit after Sammy got out of his being called in, he told me that they gave him a pay cut. $50 a week. Much later in the afternoon, at 5:00 after everyone else on the first shift had left for the day, I got my page. No one but the owner in the conference room. He tells me that things aren't looking good for the company's finances and hates to do it, but he has to let me go. Gave me my two checks. I wasn't much surprised. I gathered up my stuff (it's amazing how much you can accumulate in six years) and shook the dust of my feet off against them. 7 days, that's how many licks it took to get to the center of that damned tootsie pop.

Good riddance. Who says there's no escape???

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Damn. I was hoping you could go out in a blaze of glory, but at least you are out.

I'm hope that you feel better already. That is way too many hours for one person to work in 4 days!!!

Enjoy your vacation time off. I am sure it will not be as long as mine has been.

I'm sending you good thoughts. Nothing BUT good could come from this. :)

Granny said...

Good vibes, Good vibes, Good vibes your way bud...
Had a girl where I work got fired yesterday too...damn...must be in the air *gulp*
I'm sure this will be a positive thing for you. Did Sammy stay or take the pay cut??