Saturday, September 02, 2006

Good Friends


My demise at my job has caused emotions in a couple of my fellow co-workers that are beyond what I have felt for myself. Fate brought us together as co-workers, and I feel fortunate to have them as friends. These are good guys, I'm going to miss seeing these guys on a near daily basis. Sammy has called me up the last couple of evenings, I honestly think he is taking this much worse than I am. You can just hear it in his voice. When I land someplace else, he wants me to try and get him in there, too. Actually, the day the ax fell, right as I walked in the door the phone started ringing. I was thinking to myself, "No, not now, GO AWAY", but Naomi answered it as I was walking in. She tried to get them to call back, because she knows how I am when I get off the freeway and walk in the door, not wanting to do a thing but get out of my work clothes and relax for a while, but they were insistent. She hands me the phone and says "It's Sammy and his dad" (who is a phenomenal thermoforming GURU). First person I talk to is his dad, who wants to know what happened. I think he had a feeling. He was one of the guys called into the office. He expressed his sense of loss at having me gone, and told me that I could drop his name (which is renowned in the world of thermoforming) anytime I like and he would have nothing but good to say about me. After that I talked to Sammy for quite a while. As I said, he was quite broken up over it.

Tonight I saw my other close friend at work, Rafa, come online, so I messaged him. We talked for a while, Sammy had already told him what had happened. He seemed rather distraught over it, too. I told him what happened and what has happened since (which is another post altogether). He is worried about the future there, and I can't blame him at all. I think he's going to have a bad feeling about working there now.

I don't know how to describe it. My heart overflows with love for these guys, they are good guys and the kind you like to have in your corner, where I know they both firmly are. The things they have all communicated to me in the last couple of days truly fills me with an indescribable gratitude.

In answer to your query, Granny, yea Sammy took the cut, but I think he is strongly considering jumping ship too. If he goes, I can't imagine his father or brother staying on much longer. That would be kind of cool, an Asian family loyalty kind of thing. They all have expressed through their words and actions that we are family. I don't see much of a future for the company if that happens. I didn't wish any ill to them when they let me go, but since then I have become a little more ambivalent. Once again, a post for another day. My intention with this post is to express my love to my good friends from my last job.

Before I signed off with Rafa, he told me, "DONT FORGET 512"

Yeah. DONT FORGET 512.

I love you guys.

3 comments:

Lilly said...

Awwww.. that a very nice tribute to your friends aye. I feel like you guys will all be working at the same place again. I have you all in my thoughts.
512 is famlies, yo! Can't ever forget (or truly separate) 512!

me said...

Hope your feeling better Aye!

Missed ya!

: )

Rue said...

I suppose I should visit more often. I lost a jpb after 10 years a couple of years ago. It was devastating. It can be a hidden blessing though. It forces you to look at other options. Sometimes you stick where you think you are safe even if it is killing you.

PS. *I* Do not yodel... and no I am not a particularily large women..larger than this photo perhaps ( it was 20 years ago) but not "LARGE" per se.
Merci.
:D