Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rapid Random

Just a few random things I wanted to post on!!!

My wife got lucky and got Jury Duty. Had her calling in since last Monday, but Friday was the first day they actually had her come in. So far, she's on a jury. I notice that when I was on Jury Duty, there were wild fires going on then, too. I saw the smoke rising from the hills yesterday when I was taking the boys to the railroad open house.



I know I've been hiking up there, but I remember the name of the place more than the place itself.

Incredibly hot this weekend. I kind of wanted to take the boys or the whole family to Universal Studios to partake in some of the moist activities that occur there, as well as getting some use out of the year passes. Of course, I don't think I'd drive, but take the rail line.




All images swiped from the 'Net.

The system went down several times on Friday. I wrote about it on my cup. "For a buggy system, it is remarkably stable" and "Do not attempt to adjust your computer. We are controlling the transmission." I wonder how many people actually made the Outer Limits connection.

Wifey's going to take the rail line to court tomorrow instead of driving. If she'd had the presence of mind, she could have gotten a Metro pass at the court and gone without having to pay. Hopefully (and if commuting that way suits her tomorrow) she'll pick one up when she's there tomorrow.

Instead of going to Universal, I did yard work yesterday. That, and the railroad open house. The lawn actually came out looking fairly decent just running the mower over it and weed eating around the edges. Had to cut back a lot of other greenery, too, it's that time of year when the Fire Department does inspections.

Writing about the yardwork reminded me that I should water the grass a little.

My mom called today and talked a bit to my wife. Catching half of the conversation I got that she'd bought something for my oldest boys' birthday present. As she was getting ready to hand the phone to me, wife tells mom that she'll have to tell me so I know what she got him. As soon as I'm talking to my mom, she starts telling me about a Stanley Kubrick video collection she bought. I thought that was quite cool, but a rather odd thing to have gotten for the boy. Apparently, it was not for my son but just something she'd picked up.

Earlier in the week I'd needed something for my cup, so I wrote part of an Emily Dickinson poem:
HOPE is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all!!!

If she'd had the Metro pass, could have used that to ride free to Universal. I don't suppose that she could grab a handful of them???

They had a note on the board at work to let them know if anyone is interested in a permanent Saturday shift. Oh yea, I am interested!!! Saturday shift means you get Fridays off, and the shift is from 6:30 to 3:15, so you've still got some Saturday left. If you don't fall asleep after work. It also means a little more gravy in your paycheck. Now, there's something to hope for!!!

I know there is more random, because I had a thing or two that got left off the last random!!! The hour grows late...

10 comments:

Aye said...

I did the line, "Open the pod bay door, HAL" for the older boy and asked him if he'd want to see the movie that was from. He would, so put 2001 on his watch list. I know he'd love "Full Metal Jacket", but it may be a little much for him yet. Dr. Strangelove, he might be up for. Defenatly "A Clockwork Orange", I wouldn't mind seeing that again myself. I don't know if "Eyes Wide Shut" is in the collection, but I would not subject him to that.

Aye said...

Do you know how he came up with the name HAL for the computer in 2001??? Go one letter forward in the alphabet for each chacter and see what you get!!!

Anonymous said...

controllin the transmission eh?
hmmm

yea, Stanley Kubrick aint good for the wee one. Eyes wide shut!!! No way! and they all seem a bit too much for him.

Nice trivia fact on that movie...

Happy Birf to em!
never saw clock work orange...

Lovin that poem Aye! Did you write it?
I mean is it your original? I know ya wrote it on the cup.

Everyone would be grabbin all them free passes if it was possible....hehe

I always chuck them jury duty notices...screw that!

I don't agree that it's my, "Civic duty"

The law sucks and the rebel in me loves that they threaten the hell out of me but can't, "prove" that I get the notices. Hate when people try and force me to do things

haha

nice randoms

wegqpcng: Oh come on!! 8 again! and there's another, "P" in it.
(I commented from bottom to top of your web page this is my 3rd word ver)

I think I have to pee

so ta!

pnk

Aye said...

The poem is part of an Emily Dickinson poem. Isn't that a great one, though?? Only a couple of people noticed it, and I told one of the guys (younger guy, probably around 25 or so) it was Dickinson, and he goes, "Oh cool!!! I've got a book of her poems!!!"

I remembered one of the other random things I'd wanted to put in there, too. There was a wedding party up at Chantry Flats that had to be air lifted out. What are you thinking going up there when it's all on fire??? I could picture two rangers talking about it: "Boss, there's a wedding party up there, we gotta air lift 'em out." "Why is there a wedding party there???" "Well, they said they had it all planned and have the invitations mailed out weeks ago and they have reservations, so I told them to go ahead, just watch out for the fire..."

Aye said...

Oh, I used to always get my employer to write me a get out of jury duty notes, but the new job pays me and has enough people to cover for me when I'm out, so I have no objections. They've gotten much tougher about not letting people skate on jury duty here. My wife said at her orientation they said about the only way you can get out is if someone will die if you can't be there, and even then you'd best be able to substantiate that. I think the "I never got my summons" could work. She had it around two years ago and had no one to watch the little guy, I told her to just go and take him along, let 'em decide what they want to do. She went, but said she couldn't find the court house. I drove her by there a couple weeks ago so she could see how to get there. The rail trip there today was a great success for her, and she got her pass for the week now.

Aye said...

Oh yeah, she gets paid by her employer while she's there, too. And she finds the case interesting, even though she can't tell me anything about it yet. She's an alternate, so she may not even have to give her yea or nay.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info!
Yea, I like that poem
Good luck w/jury duty nam

I've been reading lots about fires lately...

which brings me to: "try to send the night on fire" that song will now stick in me for a half hour.
ha

bveaa:
bible villains eventually analyze agonizingly

pink 1

Anonymous said...

Hay,
With the price of gas these days, I may have to borrow a buggy, or get a job and be most stable.
The Outer Limits...OMG! I'm there!
On a lighter note, did your boys ever get a chance to read:
The borrowers
The Borrowers Aloft
The Borrowers Afloat
The Borrowers Afield
The Clock Family...Pod, Homily, and their daughter, Arrietty, by Mary Norton. She also wrote Bed-Nobs and Broomsticks.

Bethany said...

Love the Emily Dickenson. A great way to save your cup from certain doom :)

Aye said...

Came across this post searching for another one, and thought I'd update: Years later, starting in January 2015 I finally got that Saturday shift!!! Oh, and seeing Pank's Morrison ref there reminded me of an encounter just yesterday at work. Had to get past a girl in a row at work, and she sings, "break on through to the other side", so I got to tell her that was my first concert. She asks how he was, and I had to tell her I slept through the whole thing, I was under a year old at the time (possible contact high???) She makes the statement that she would have totally fucked him if she had the chance!!! Good times!!!