Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas Corn???


Tamales are a favorite of mine. Not especially the squishy little impostors that come six or seven to a can, wrapped in greasy paper of some kind. They'll do in a pinch, but it's like expecting an authentic Italian meal and getting Chef Boy Ardee. I'm talking the full-on, wrapped in a corn husk hand made suckers that'll fill you right up. I'm not sure the reason or connection, but for some reason they are associated with Christmas among the Latino community. It seems like eating the canned suckers for Christmas would be sacrilege. Kind of made me wonder if that had something to do with the "Christmas corn" post that Lilly did for Granny, being as they are made in corn husks and the outer breading is a corn meal base. Sometimes there will be a guy selling them from the back of a truck or a kettle in a shopping cart at the store when I'm there, hawking them by repeating the phrase, "Tamale-tamale". If I haven't eaten, he or she is usually assured of a sale. At the goody day celebration, someone brought these MASSIVE tamales. Brought to mind the phrase "too much of a good thing", everything there was tasty, and just getting a few bites of everything was more than enough food.
I ended up eating more than half of one, anyway. The guy who mentored me had his in one of the ziplock bags we ship stuff in, in the cabinet over the printer we were at. Good thinking. I ate some of those canned ones for lunch today. *Hanging my head in shame*

5 comments:

Lilly said...

hahahahhaa. omg how cool is THAT?

i hope granny uses THIS recipe next year... LMAO.

susan said...

Aye, your Amazeing !!!

Bethany said...

How amusing. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the tamale -- when I think of eating tamales, all I think of is Hot Tamales... you know, those little red cinnamon flavoured candies that come in a box? Like spicy Mike and Ike's? These sound interesting though.

Granny said...

I'ma thinkin muh corn would be good wrapped in husks...least it would be SAFER....hahahahah....

Doc said...

I'm with moon goddess here... dude... please explain? I'm feeling terribly uneducated.