Tuesday, December 05, 2006

110

I wasn't going to post anything today, because I didn't have much to post about. But then, I found this video on someone else's blog, and it was too cool not to steal and post here!!! Google was being a bitch about making with the code, so I just stole it from the one I found it at. Hope it works, I'll be taking it down if it doesn't.
*Note: It didn't work, so I found the same vid on YouTube. It's missing the downtown stretch, but it has the rest, as well as a usable code!!! Only thing, their vids seem to make my posts move way down on the page for some reason...



This is the first freeway ever built in California, and the second in the nation. It was constructed in 1940, with a speed limit of 45 MPH. The original portion features many twist and turns, "to keep drivers from getting sleepy".

Viewing this video, you can see a lot of what I used to deal with four days a week on my way home from my previous job. This is a fairly clear time of day, it gets completely stopped in the afternoon. Going through the downtown skyscrapers is always cool. Heading up to the tunnels, you'll notice the left lane is all backed up. It's usually like that, it exits to the 5. The next lane over backs up, too, because there are a bunch of idiots waiting until the last minute to get over. Max would sympathize. Just past there it gets into the twisty section. You may notice a tall railroad trestle, that was abandoned for many years, but now is in service for the Gold Line. My home is off this portion. It's fun, the exits are hard 90 degree turns, posted at 5 MPH with very short ramps. High rolling vehicles best heed the 5 MPH. The entrances are fun, too. They have a stop sign, and you have a very short area to get up to speed. Don't pull out in front of me from one of those unless you've got the motor to back it up, you will get a federal bumper up your ass!!! But, if this section is reasonably clear, FUN!!! Test you vehicle's cornering capability!!!

3 comments:

Granny said...

I finally got to watch this video.. A few times when I came to blogger it was GONE...Text was there but video access wasn't..That's a scarey freeway..I have to travel a distance to and from work on one daily.It's scarey sometimes..

FGNAIFO: Funny Granny's Navel Always Ignites Farts Only..

Bethany said...

And that's why I don't drive... Even the roads are kinder and gentler in Canada methinks -- I've never seen anything even remotely like that up here. It was a pretty neat video though!

Lilly said...

zig zaggin down tha freeway!