Friday, April 28, 2006

Smooth Hound


My dad scuba dived for as long as I can remember. As a young kid, 3 or 4 years old, I remember going to the beach with my parents and older sisters, and they would leave us on the beach for about an hour while they did a dive. Oftentimes we'd have a picnic lunch when they would surface.

At some point when I was young, probably around five to seven, my mom quit diving. The frigid waters were too much for her to bear. My dad had other diving buddies and dive clubs that he would still go out with. When I was around 13 I got certified for diving, and my dad and I would go out every now and then. I found the water to be chilling, too, but I endured.

One night we went to one of the southland beaches for a night dive, my first. The surf was very rough, and after getting suited up and backing into the ocean I lost my weight belt, and we had to abort the dive. A couple weeks later we tried a different beach. We had never dived at this beach, it had a rocky entry. It was much calmer that night. We entered the water with our dive lights and glow sticks going.

Under the sea at night was an ethereal experience. During daylight hours, the whole visible area would be lit with a greenish cast of sunlight filtering down. Without sunlight and only our flashlights and glow sticks illuminating the area, even in relatively shallow waters it was like being in a cave!!! The light cast didn't penetrate even to the surface, or much past the immediate area. It gave the feeling of being inside a cave.

On our way back to the shore, still under water, a shark entered into our field of vision. We were both coming straight at each other, and upon seeing him, my balls kinda crawled up. He wasn't big, probably about three feet, but still... out of your own element, face to face with a killing machine in its own element, it was chilling. Both the shark and ourselves turned to our respective right, and proceeded away from each other, out of our circle of light.

A little research once we got home revealed that what we had seen was a gray smooth hound, a bottom feeder and not any real threat to us. Still, seeing a shark in its own element while being out of yours, makes a lasting impression.

7 comments:

Granny said...

This hound woulda scared all hell right outta me!!
I've never dived but, snorkled in Hawaii ( during daylight hours )..
The rush was amazing!! Was very hard to breath normally because of the excitement...I loved hearing of your experience but don't think I'd wanna be part of it...
Now, get a red bucket and piss off a building, I'M IN!!


SYKAB: Sharks Yield Kinky Ass Bites..

me said...

Yes, sharks do make quite an impression! The movie, "Jaws" ruined my chance to ever want to go scuba diving..LOL! SOmeday, I will conquer that fear, since my youngest child dreams of seeing the ocean floor and I would love to experience that with him! Great story Aye!
Your description of your fear made me laugh out loud!

mnvjzh: Many new very intelligent zebra-sharks hurt

Aye said...

Jaws makes an impression, all right!!! Hard to go in the ocean at all without thoughts of that movie creeping in, and of course the second you actually see ANY shark, it all comes back!!!

Diving is great, although it can be expensive and rather chilly down there!!! Most of what's good to see is rather close to shore, usually in around 30 feet of water or less.

Where did you snorkel in Hawaii, Granny??? First time I went (around 10 years old or so) my dad would find all the great spots to snorkel. The second time I took Naomi. We were going to snorkel Hunama Bay, but it was closed till noon the one day we'd sceduled to do that. Drove around to a regular beach and tried there... it was far too rough, and there wasn't much wildlife at all to see. May didn't want to do it anymore after that!!! I had to force her to go when we got to Hunama, but she really loved it when we got in there!!! Great place to dive, shallow, warm water, lots of coral reefs teeming with fish and eels!!!

One other undersea shark tale I have is when I was diving off one of the channel islands. I was down in a crevasse trying to pop off an abalone (they have a hell of a grip if you don't catch 'em off guard!!!) and dad was over me. Apparently a decent sized shark was swimming right over me, and I didn't even know it!!! Afterwards, my dad did the shark sign to me, and I was looking all around for it, but it was gone. Dad had at the time one of those disc cameras in an underwater enclosure and tried to get some pics, but the field wasn't wide enough to get both of us.

EDNII = External diagnosis needs information imput

susan said...

I stopped by earler today and was gonna write about gathering abalone around Inverness. When you ware a wet, or dry suit, the sharks think your a seal. No,No,No, give me the warm waters of the Yucatan.
Good story Aye, it did make my heart thump a little faster. 1967 Rules!

me said...

Cool story Aye, thank God the shark wasn't interested in ya! Wonder what the sign of the shark from dad was?

pondering.
niimk:
Naomi is in my kanoe

Serenity said...

What a story Aye!! You made my heart jump! I've never had the desire to go diving. Not after seeing Jaws. lol A shark would take one look at my ample frame and say, "My my, what a meaty looking morsel we have here!"

susan said...

Sharks don't have a sweet tooth Sern, your safe. Sharks like sour-pusses...D'a d'a d'a...and they never eat lawyers...professional courtesy. Hahaha!