Thursday, July 27, 2006

What Would You Choose???


In this ongoing stifling heat, what would you choose, having your electricity out or your phone out??? Your phone and your DSL connection??? Neither would be your first choice, but barring that, yea, in this heat I'd far rather have my phone lines out. Lucky me, that's exactly I got for the last few days. Karma for my last post??? Nah, gotta be karma from something else. Of course, with the electricity out, having a working DSL line wouldn't have done me much good!!! Naturally, when you call up the phone company they tell you that you'll have to pay if it is an inside wiring problem. You can buy insurance from them to keep from having to pay them if there is trouble with the inside wires, and I have to think that they probably never bring that up to their customers that have the insurance. But, of course, why would they??? That night I checked at the outside box, and of course there was no signal there. Big surprise. Then next morning I saw the line laying in the street (before the tech came out) and said to myself "I'll bet that has something to do with it....." Sure enough, he came out and said it was the line itself. Couldn't fix it himself, had to have a crew come out to take care of it. Naturally, had to be the next day.

Now, on to the heat. Everyone is going on about how dreadfully hot it is, how its never been like this before. All I can say is that some people have short memories!!! It really hasn't been that hot, even, but we're having exceptional humidity. Reminds me of visiting the east coast. *In my best geezer voice* Back when I was a kid... We didn't have an air conditioner. None of my friends had air conditioners. School sure as hell didn't have any air conditioners. Most of the cars I ever rode in back then didn't have air conditioning. Seems to me that a lot of people have turned into a bunch of candy asses!!!

4 comments:

Lilly said...

East coast? Geezer voice? Hmmmmm...

Glad your power got back on. Nice pic of the damage. My guess is, some pesky squirrels did that to those wires! Keep your shotgun loaded and keep ya eyez open! ha!

Candy Asses? Hmmm.. I could of sworn we coined that word here on the east side... haha.. it's a great word regardless of it's origins.

Aye said...

Yea, on the east side, yo!!! I remember being in the DC-Maryland area, and it was so humid that it did you no good to dry off after showering, and in fact the showering itself was near useless too. Also remember being in Florida during the summer, and even as the rain was coming down you'd still be sweltering.

Yea, could have been those damned squirrels, the phone company guy said that at first that was probably it, but then changed to say it could have been from a gardener cutting the line. My neighbor's tree used to make the line go WAY down. I'd called the phone and power company about it, but as far as I know neither of them did a thing. Always best to make sure its actually inconviencing someone first!!! Well, that part of the tree has been pruned back, so....

Even if I did plug myself a squirrel, I sure aint gonna be eating it!!!

TPSNFFX = The puny squirrel never flummoxed flirty Xaiver

Lilly said...

there is just something about the term plugging a squirrel that just makes me want to vomit. haha.
Amen to not actually eating one.

(see, i KNEW it was a damn squirrel)

me said...

When the electricity went out here for awhile, we actually made the best of it and the kids and I had a blast. I would chose the electricity to go out over the phone. 911 is always better to be able to do in case of an emergency.

: )

xgyyen: Xavier gave yolanda yummy english nuggies...?