Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy 3rd of July



There was a bit of news being broadcast over the weekend that I heard about how some companies are not giving their employees July 3rd off. Of course, they are completely within their rights to do so, even though the placement of July 4th on a Tuesday fairly screams "four day weekend". I remember at the last company I worked for whenever this kind of situation would come up, we would almost always work an extra two hours a day the week before to earn our extra day off. Of course, with overtime laws and such, the way we worked it wasn't exactly legal, but no one was complaining.

I work for one of those companies that were running today. I didn't hear a single person who was especially happy about it. Sure, I could have used one of my vacation days, but who wants to do that??? When I asked the plant manager how he was doing this morning, he replied, "OK, except that all our suppliers are closed down today." My smartass response was, "Yea, who would have seen that coming???"

All this would not have been such an issue with me, except for the fact that our normal schedule is to work four ten hour days, then have Fridays off!!! Now here is a perfect opportunity to shift it to working Wednesday through Friday, and have the Monday in between off instead. What I end up with instead is three days off, work one day, one day off, work two days, then another three days off. Not that I'm complaining....

On the bright side, traffic was rather light this morning, and hopefully will be the same this afternoon.

By the way, the picture is of the Westin Bonaventure, taken coming off the ramp where I get off in downtown when the traffic is bad. I took it coming around that ramp, which goes past 180°, probably going 40 MPH or so (I tend to nail it as soon as I break free of the traffic, and that is a fun ramp to do so on LOL). I seem to be seeing a lot of pictures of the reflectorized buildings, so here is my contribution!!!

Happy 3rd of July to me!!!

2 comments:

Granny said...

I worked too..grrrrrr.. GREAT PIC! Hope everyone has a good 4th and lots of fun times...

Lilly said...

You nailed it, yo.
haha.
Good job!