Sunday, August 30, 2009

Worrisome




The top picture is from the top of my street on Thursday. On my drive home that evening, it seemed like almost every freeway I was on had smoke billowing up at the end of it. The sky was otherwise completely clear, just smoke filling the northwest. On the second to the last freeway, I could actually see flames. Not a good feeling, looking at fire rising from directly behind where your home is. It's actually quite a bit farther away than it looked, but still too close.




On Wednesday morning I could smell it inside the house, and it was like walking into a light fog bank when I walked outside. Funny thing, that fire was since Wednesday, but there wasn't a whole lot of coverage until the last couple of days. A fire breaks out in Palos Verdes, and it's top story. More yellow journalism, I tells ya!!! Friday evening we were out, and you could see the red glow rising from the hills. I found a map tool that shows the size and scope of the fire, since they weren't showing one on any of the news channels. They'd show aerial views and say "This will give you an idea of the size and scope of this fire", but there are no points of reference.

The weather hasn't been helping. The humidity has been low and the temperatures have been high. I think it's the hottest and most sustained it's been all summer. On the plus side, the wind hasn't been that high, although these fires create their own weather.



Final shot is from Mount Wilson's webcam, where much of tonight's coverage is of the transmitter towers being threatened by this fire.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's some scary fire!

Let's pray for rain and please be careful. If it gets too close LEAVE

Hope all is ok

pank

unpur: Unique nightingale paints unrealisic reality

susan said...

That's what I was going to say...be careful and pray it rains.
Did you see a lot of helicopters and water bombers?
Please keep Pank and me up to date about the fires, and how you're doing.

Bethany said...

Oh my that is worrisome, eh? Well I hope it remains safe for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

where are u?????????

Please update and let us know if you, nam and the kids are safe?

Unless you are really on a boat some where, sippin margaritas, well, then, it's ok

wish I was with ya!

pank

Aye said...

I suppose I shouldn't make a post like this and not do an update after, huh??? Everything is fine here, the weather has cooled and humidified up some, and our hero firefighters are at 49% containment, last I heard. Hasn't been moving towards our area at all. Air quality has even seemed better the last few days.

Last Monday I took one of my two remaining personal days and took the family to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, the water park next to Magic Mountain. When I got the passes to the latter, it came with a voucher for a free day there, and it turned out to be the last day we could use them. Wasn't too crowded, although there were a lot of other people using that same voucher for entry. Millions of gallons of over chlorinated fun!!! I might have done a post of that trip, but I wasn't about to take my camera to a water park, and, well, I feel like pictures are a big part.

I did a fairly epic cup artwork on Friday, I'll probably take the pictures and make a new post tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

Jez Louise! Phew!!!!!!!!!!!

Your all ok!

When I saw that you weren't posting on Twitter anymore...I started to panic.

TG your all ok!

panicky panky

pestrru: Please enjoy some tasty rice underwear

Aye said...

I noticed that my twitter updates aren't showing on here (at least on my PCs) and I have no idea why!!!