Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Toys

I should have made this post yesterday. Not only was that the day that I got this delivered in the mail. Additionally, yesterday was 5-12 and this is my 512th blog post!!! It's a pretty good one, I think.



My wife thought this was pretty cute, so she pulled out the camera and took this picture. The big boy laptop I bought at the very end of last year, just before the sales tax increased. It's a Toshiba with an AMD dual core processor, with 3 gig RAM and a 250 gig hard drive. It also has some advanced video hardware, not real common in laptops. It is running the Vista operating system. It is neither as bad as you may have heard, nor that much improved over XP that it seems to have been necessary. I got it for $499, I haven't seen too many priced and equipped as well since I bought it. I've been quite pleased with it, but it is a little bulky. My original thought, before buying a laptop, was get as much screen as you can, probably a 17". Ended up with a 15.6", and it seems larger than I really needed.



Prior to buying this, I'd been kind of looking at netbooks. They didn't seem to be quite enough, but the prices were better. Last week I got an E-mail for this little beauty. Less than half what I spent on my Toshiba for an Acer 8.9" netbook!!! Intel Atom processor, 1 gig RAM and 160 gig hard drive. It also has a few things I would like to have had on my laptop, a built in webcam and microphone, as well as a card reader that works with the media from my camera. The webcam does amazingly well in low light conditions, but the audio doesn't seem to sync quite properly with the video. I've only had it one day, but so far, I'm rather liking it better than my laptop!!!

3 comments:

Aye said...

Oh yea, I forgot to mention the Acer uses the XP operating system. With the slower processor and less memory, it's better suited to that, and it's very stable and works well with this hardware. My thoughts: XP is what what 98SE was a few years back, a good working OS that has yet to be upstaged by the newer technology!!!

Anonymous said...

The voice was not in sync with the video...not even close

cute photo and test though
your kids are adorable

got to finally hear your? foreign... voice?

:)

pank

pranara; People really are nothing as really are


and I don't even care anymore

ha!

susan said...

Congratulations!
You're a lucky man AYE.
Happy 5-12