Sunday, January 27, 2008

Rude Awakening

What a way to wake up!!! Choppity choppity.... I thought I was back in old Saigon!!!


Such things as this should not happen on a weekend morning. Shocking that the rest of the family was sleeping through it. Oh well, since I wasn't getting any more rest, figured I'd step outside and see if I could see what all was up there. Only one chopper, and instead of the regular circling, it was hovering, being blown up a ways, and returning to where it started. Strange. I could hear emergency vehicles' sirens approaching. Two thoughts of what could have happened, one being that the constant drizzle had destabilized the hillside and a house or two had slid down. The other thought was that someone had attempted to race a Gold Line train at one of the crossings. Since I was up (and none of the local news broadcasts were showing a thing about it) I decided I'd throw on some clothes, grab my camera and see if I could find the source and get some shots in.

By the time I did this, though, Tooth boy woke up. I told him what I was thinking of doing, and before I took off I flipped through the broadcast news again, and there it was.

The third option turned out to be what had happened, though. One of the world famous 110 Freeway exit had claimed another victim. (Image of the car being lifted out courtesy of Fox 11's website)

I stopped by later in the day to survey the damage. Hard to tell exactly what happened, but I think that someone tried to exit without heeding the 5 MPH sign, overshot the exit and fell the thirty or so feet into the Arroyo Seco.

Every so often that happens.

While I was there taking pictures, I heard the brakes of another car locking up, and I was able to get a couple of shots, Ala Mad Max.

He was able to keep from going all the way over, but he was very lucky that there was no one heading onto the freeway!!!

No comments: