Wednesday, October 03, 2007

If I Knew Picasso...



"Do you play guitar???" She asked. Probably the fact that I was wearing my guitar print shirt today made her think that. One of the things I like about her, she appreciates all the wild shirts I wear and often comments on them. Sometimes she'll tell me, "I like your shirt!!!" and start laughing. I never know exactly how to take that, so I just thank her and take it as a compliment.



"No", I replied, "but I have a guitar." She laughed, amused, and asked, "What kind of guitar???" "Silver" I replied. I painted it myself." More laughter. "I've learned a few chords, but that's about it."

That was about all the time for discussion we had at that point, but it brought back memories, so when I had a few moments later, I related some more of the story:

Back in my early teen years I picked this guitar up from a friend of my sister for a decent price. It was a cheap Japanese solid body electric, with all the electronics on a chrome plate. Double pick ups and a base that is threaded for a whammy bar. It was wood grained with darkened areas when I got it.



I was going to paint my bedroom. Like most teens, I wanted to paint it black. Of course, my parents weren't too thrilled at this prospect, fearing that it would be like a cave (ummm, part of the attraction!!!) and that it would take a dozen coats of paint to ever cover over it. Then, one of my dad's friends told him, "No problems painting over black paint, one coat of silver covers right over it!!!" Hmmmm, silver... Kinda like the sound of that even better!!! So, silver it was painted, with a black ceiling. I drove a few nails into the wall to hang the guitar on at about a 30° angle, and disassembled it and painted the body and neck the same silver as the walls. While I never became a guitar virtuoso, I had a cool wall hanging.

As an epilogue, years later, after I had moved out, my parents repainted the room. Turns out the only thing harder than painting over black paint is painting over silver paint!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black can be painted over silver...quite easily.
Which can be a metaphor for this post.

cool gee-tar!

btw, I saw her today, in the deli
cripes!

love ya AYester....

have a good ending to the week and say hi to nami.
pankish

jvgnwr: Joyous vibes gather nothing when rotten

Bethany said...

That's a great story! I too once entertained the thought of a black bedroom. That's one of those things that always sounds like a really great idea at the time. I went with red instead. I'm slowly but surely chugging out of the teen angst phase, and I still don't regret it. Red's an awesome room colour. I had never thought of silver. The only thing I think about that is that it sounds very... reflective.

susan said...

HiHo Silver!

Aye said...

Years and years and YEARS later, I come back to explain the title!!! Reference to Counting Crows' first big hit, Mr. Jones where he sings, "If I knew Picasso, I would buy myself a gray guitar and play". The silver tends to oxidize to a gray color. Found it a couple years back, after the firstborn got a guitar for Christmas.