Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Other Side of the Bench


The last several months I've become rather familiar with going to court. Today I began a completely different experience, something new for me. I've been called in for jury duty!!!

Much of the first part of the day was taken up with orientation in a room full of probably more than 100 potential jurors. After that, I had plenty of time to read most all of the paper, do the crossword and sudoku puzzles, and listen to my MP3 player. I still have the music I loaded on it for the Florida trip, and was amused to hear that Jay-Z's "99 Problems" and The Beatles' "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" were in the mix, both of which have tales of the legal system in them. Who knows, I may have Skynard's "Four Walls of Rainford" on there, too!!!

Halfway through the day I was called to be in a case screening panel. I'm under orders not to discuss any details of the case, so you'll have to wait until after for any of that (if indeed I am inclined to post about it... but it sounds fascinating, so I likely will), but there is a 1 1/2 hour lunch break, and I had my camera with me, so I got to take a bunch of pictures of downtown from a pedestrian perspective!!! Cool!!!

I took a BUNCH of the Disney Concert Hall. Only a couple are represented here.



One of the pictures had the fountains outside the DWP building. The cool thing about it is that it has a parking structure underneath it!!!



The whole downtown area seems big on fountains...

This is the first time that I've actually made it to jury service, since I now work for a real company that pays for my time while I serve!!!




Likely more to come!!!

No comments: