Thursday, September 27, 2007

Looking a Free Lunch in the Mouth

For the last few weeks, I've managed to eat free at my work for one day each week. As I've said before, they take care of us there!!! Three weeks ago there was a lunch and learn on biofuels, that I had made mention of earlier. While it was interesting, I really learned more about our marketing department than about biofuels. Of course, I already knew quite a bit about that. This week they've had a series of them on finances, of which I attended the Tuesday one on wealth accumulation. Very educational. However, the one I'm going to focus on is the one from last week.




One of the supervisors from my area is leaving to another department. Towards the beginning of the week they came around telling everyone in the department that they didn't need to bring or buy a lunch on Thursday, because they were going to provide a lunch to thank us all for our hard work, and to say bye to the departing. Cool!!!

A little side note: Just a few days before this, I was telling my oldest boy that third shift is the best when it comes to eating. If you want some kind of breakfast food, just show up a little early and eat before you start. A lot of people do. First break for us is at 11:15, and at that time they are getting ready for lunch. There are usually a little bit of breakfast foods left there if you're in the mood for that, but my personal favorite is the pizza, fresh out of the oven. Best possible break schedule to me!!!

Thursday rolls around. At break time, they've got the food being laid out for our lunch feast in the quad. There's a couple of three foot sandwiches, and a few huge pizzas. Yum!!! Since it was already there, I grabbed a couple of slices of pizza for break. It was great. The cafeteria worker who was overseeing it told us that there was more in the kitchen, and they would be bringing more out at each break. Good deal, we were all a bit concerned about there being any left when our lunch time rolled around.

As the first and second shift guys come back from lunch, they're raving about how good the food is. Lunch time rolls around. We head out there, and there are no sandwiches left, and no drinks. There's still pizza, but its luke warm. The cafeteria worker brought out some more sodas and waters and iced teas, but not a lot. Strangely enough, some people started complaining. One of the supervisors stuck his head out and asked how things were. The girl next to me rolled her eyes at him. He didn't stay much longer. The supervisor who is leaving came out a bit later. One of the guys told him he felt like a red headed step child. Another guy gave up on the leftover pizza and went to the cafeteria and got a tuna fish sandwich. I told him he had to cut it up in tiny pieces and share with everyone. He was asking if anyone wanted any more soda, and was pouring it into the cap of the bottle to pass around. Most everyone ate some pizza. It was a lot better when it was warm, but it was still OK. I was amazed how much complaining was going on over a free lunch!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Pizza!

I think I have a frozen microwable Celeste pepperoni one in the freezer gotta run!
wtpk
ujupjqj: God! a lot of j's!

unruly jupiter usually pleasures jiggly quirky JiminyP

Aye said...

The flaming eyeball recipie for frozen pizza: Lay down a little dusting of garlic salt on the sheet before you cook it, throw on some olives of pineapple, and grate some extra cheese over the top. Bake until melty. Haha, that was my dinner tonight... well, that and a salad, gotta keep it healthy ya know!!!