Saturday, June 23, 2007

Return to Oz

Now this was cool!!!


Last time I went to see Wicked, I had a few things I would have liked to have done different. I would have liked to have taken the train there. I would have liked to have taken my wife there. I would have liked to be able to pick up some tickets to take her for her birthday and not have to take out a second mortgage.

Well, today we got a friend to watch the boys. We hopped the rail line to the Hollywood and Vine station. Riding the train is really a great way to get around, provided you can spare a little wait time. We put our names into the daily ticket lottery drawing.

The deal on the ticket lottery goes like this: Two and a half hours before showtime, they start taking names for the drawing. Two hours before, they draw names. If your name is drawn and you are present, you can purchase one or two front row tickets for $25 each. One of my co-workers told me about it, said it was the deal they do now instead of student passes. 26 seats, the whole front row.



Well, DING DING DING DING DING, WE GOT A WINNA WINNA WINNA!!! Appropriately enough, it was my wife's name that got drawn, it was in celebration of her birthday that we were there. Front row, almost dead center. We were able to chat a little bit with the conductor before the show, and make eye contact with the actors. The only downside is you aren't as readily able to take in all the action at once, you've got to look around more.



Of course, there was this matter of having two and a half hours of free time in Hollywood. More than that, actually, because what with the train we showed up early. Directly to the left of the Pantages is a tiny little cafe, and I bought her a really tasty rosemary chicken sandwich before the name depositing. Between the name deposit and the drawing, we just loitered in front of the theatre. After we got the tickets, we walked over a few blocks to Sunset so she could get a coffee from Starbucks, cashing in a gift card she got for her birthday. After that, we browsed in a store for a while. Everything was priced too high, and of course we would have had to cart it back to the theatre and on the train. A fun little wasting of time just under the Hollywood sign, in the shadow of the Capitol Records building.

She loved the show!!! I knew she would. Happy birthday!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHat a great story! Congrats!I have been hearing Wicked is awesome too.
Happy b-day to your better half hehe
Luv, pkwtf

Bethany said...

Happy birthday to her!

I believe I said this last time you posted about Wicked, but I REALLY want to see that. I keep trying to will it to come to Vancouver. It was in Seattle a while ago, but I was too busy to make the trip down (it involves significantly more effort if one can't drive...)

Doc said...

Aw that's so great, if my man took me to wicked I'd flip a wig. I love singing along to the songs I've heard from it.

susan said...

Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have...
You're a Prince Aye!
Happy Birthday to your lucky wife.

Aye said...

Hey, it's the other Susan!!! Good to hear from you, hope things are well for you...