Thursday, June 21, 2007

Lunch Box



I almost always take my lunch to work. Pretty much have as long as I've been working. Back when I first began being gainfully employed, I used brown paper sacks. Not always easy to come by these days, and not really durable enough to re-use more than a couple of times. I think it was for my birthday sometime way back then that my oldest sister gave me a dark gray plastic thermos lunch box. Nothing fancy, hinged halfway through the middle. I probably used that for 15 years or more. The wires between the box and the handle spread open, and they came loose from each other. I put them back together and welded them closed, not an easy proposition with a plastic box!!! A few years later, the handle wore through, so I replaced the plastic handle with a strip of leather. Once I was at the junkyard, and I found a sticker that said, "Cause I'm a PIMP" on it, and I slapped it onto my lunch box.





A couple of years ago, I told my wife that I would like an old school, metal round top lunch box. I don't know where she found it, but she came through!!! It has the vintage look that I was looking for, even though it is new construction. You can see in the first picture, the handle is a molded plastic coke bottle. I brought it in to work with me after Christmas, and everyone was duly impressed. Of course, this was at my previous employment, and it didn't take long before everyone had seen it. Fast forward to these days, there are a lot more people at my current job. It seems like almost every week someone tells me, "I like your lunch box!!!"

I like my lunch box, too.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I used to have a hogan's hero lunch box growing up. Funny thing for a girl to have but I loved it!

Doc said...

Well they all have a point, it's totally sweet.

Bethany said...

Ooh neat! My first thought on seeing it though was that I thought it looked heavy

Anonymous said...

Very durable and cute. You pimp you.
from my new initials
wtf

Anonymous said...

oh in case you r confused, "wtf" is the artist formaly known as pnk
;)