Monday, April 30, 2007

My Wicked Weekend


(Image stolen from here, I could have used the poster artwork, but wanted something different, and this was)


My company has employee outings every year. I heard about a trip to Santa Anita horse races, and thought that would be interesting, as I've never been to the track. When sign ups came out, they had three choices: the aforementioned Santa Anita trip, a golf outing, or a brunch at Lawry's Prime Rib and matinee showing of Wicked. Even though I don't especially follow theatre, I was aware of the acclaim surrounding Wicked, and I've heard of Lawry's for years, and use their seasoning salt extensively in my culinary creations. I don't golf, and Santa Anita, while it sounded interesting, well, I'm not a big gambler or drinker (open bar is another of the perks sweetening that pot), so my choice was clear. Unfortunately, it is for employees exclusively, no dates or spouses allowed.


They have a charter bus from the company to the events, but from my location it made more sense to drive to both destinations. In fact, the Pantages Theatre is right across from the red line station we visited on our rail trip in times past. If there were an easy was to get from there to Lawry's public transportation would have been ideal!!!


Lawry's was good. The service was a bit slow in starting, but once it got rolling was good. Ironically, I got the salmon at a place renowned for their prime rib. Prime rib is OK, but I really like seafood, and since I had the choice, that is what I chose. Actually, while it was good, it wasn't up to the level of the hype I've heard. Oinkster may not have the ambiance or the Beverly Hills address, but I'd take their food over this any day!!! (Mental note: forward this URL to Lawry's and see if they want to comp me a meal to see if they can have a second chance to tempt my taste buds for a more favorable review, haha!!!)


Wicked, if you are not familiar (I wasn't real familiar before I signed up, other than knowing it was something of a prequel to "The Wizard of Oz") is a musical. Really, I am a straight male. Maybe that's what the accompanying picture is about, LOL. Prequel isn't really right, either, the play spans from well before the events of "The Wizard of Oz" to after the credits have rolled. It was PHENOMENAL!!! No spoilers here, but I will say these things I learned from it:


The origins of those creepy flying monkeys, the tin man, the scarecrow, and the cowardly lion


Why the Wicked Witch of the West wanted those shoes (I always thought it was some power or magic reason, but seems not)


Why she was all green like that


You don't get the full effect of The Wizard's facade in the movie


Where the Wicked Witch of the West got that hat from


I would guess disabled advocates and PETA groups applaud this production


Those witches have some pipes!!! I'm glad I saw this show, they didn't really showcase much of that other than Glenda's in the movie


Glenda is truly incredibly narcissistic!!!


Tickets to this show are near impossible to get!!! After I saw it, I thought it would make a great birthday present for my wife, but NOT easy to do!!! Actually, probably a great way to make money, reselling them on Ebay...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun AND educational.
Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Bethany said...

Oh I really want to see that musical! It's been to Toronto, but that doesn't do me any good way the heck out here. It was in Seattle a few months ago, but I was too busy around that time to make the trip down there. Come, Wicked! Come to Vancouver!

I've read the book, and really enjoyed it. I don't know exactly what the differences are between Wicked the musical and Wicked the book, but I imagine the book probably goes into even further detail about all those neat things you mentioned than the musical, even if just for time's sake.

I love musicals. They're really neat. And Wicked, seriously, is right near the top of the list of ones I want to see!

Anonymous said...

I'm still pondering, the, "straight thang".
I thought
you were, bi-sexual but of course, appropriately in love forever with Nami.

Which eventually most bi's do....settle for one, because, "shit" it's just too dam confuse ing.

hehe

Learn something new....daily.
I do

I would love to see Wicked! Heard a lot about it. But....I'm saving myself for my first Broadway play to be seen with, "my girl". I'm giving it, one more year...if destiny doesn't grab hold! Then I'm taking a homeless person to catch, "the flick" with me.

ca..sa=ra!

ta!
jhfhr: Jesus has forgiven her really

wow, that was way too easy and weird!

Doc said...

I've read the book and it's pretty great, the sequel "Son of a Witch" is pretty awesome too.

If it helps, my father loves the musical "Chicago" so you're not the only straight man into musicals. All is well ;)

As to the music I'm addicted even though I've only heard about five or six songs, and am very familiar with four of them. I practically know all the lyrics to "Loathing". I have a friend who watched the show on YOUTUBE and was disgusted by the bastardization of the book, but I don't mind these things as much as he does. He's one of those that gets in a huff over changes from "the original".

I am so jealous by the way.

Aye said...

It appears that I wasn't the only one who was underwhelmed by the food at Lawry's.

One other thing I should have made mention of: Seeing this show will change the way you view Wizard of Oz forever!!! Nicely done.