Thursday, March 01, 2007

Black Wednesday???


This has been something of a strange week for me. Last Friday they asked me if I could work an earlier shift this week. I said sure, just tell me when. They said, how about Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for middle shift. OK, I'll be there. On Tuesday, they asked me if I could work an hour of overtime on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, so I would be going in at the same time as first shift, but leaving with the middle shift. I was looking forward to today, finally be able to stay in bed a bit longer and have a more leisurely morning. Yesterday they asked me if I could come in an hour early today, too. OK, I'll take it when I can get it, but it did mess up my sleep plans. Oh yeah, they do something pretty cool when you do overtime. Not only do you get time and a half on your next check, but at the end of February, they pay you the half again for your previous year's overtime, so in effect you end up getting double time.

One of my co-workers was telling me on Tuesday that Wednesday the 28th was going to be our busiest day of the year. Historically, it has been so, so that was the reason for that. It seemed odd to me that the 28th would be our busiest day. It didn't seem especially busier than normal to me. I wondered if it was because of the stock market's downturn the day before. Seems to me that if you get spooked by what turns out to be about a 4% downturn, maybe you shouldn't be in that business.

4 comments:

Lilly said...

that's alot of OT but the company really takes care of the compensation! w00t!

I read something funny about the dow going down cuz 'they misssed cheney'... hahaha.. good liberal joke i suppose..

that foto kicks ass, btw.

MaxHedrm said...

I actually did pretty well on that day. Moved some (OK, most) of my 401K into a money market-ish fund shortly before our companies stock took a hi. :^)

By the way, thanks for making me check out the rest of that Anna Nalick album. Pretty good stuff. I just had Breathe from when it was free on iTunes. :^)

Mad Max said...

Yes, strange that the last day of February would be the busiest. I wonder if it's the same in leap years, too? Wonder if it's because it ends shorter than the others, and people need to spend their budget before the end? it always seems to end suddenly for me.

susan said...

So that's where you been. Working!
wbdpl:working boy doubles pay laughing.