Saturday, June 17, 2006

You Little BRAT!!!

I'm doing some car shopping. Looking at a lot of ads and making a lot of calls, mostly. Finally made it out to look at one this afternoon... I think I'm in LOVE!!!

My criteria: small, economical, of course in my price range. Something I like. Some sort of removable top would be a big plus. An automatic would be a plus, too, since I seem to be stuck in downtown stop and go driving four days a week.
I had been thinking of a VW cabriolet, because they are easy on gas, rather plentiful, and, of course, I have some experience with VW's. One of the two I actually got through to needs a fuel pump (so the owner says, could be one of those shams so you don't actually drive the thing and find out the transmission is shot). The other, was a bit on the high end of my price range. The guy said he's on a fixed income, but if I'm interested after the first of the month, he'd get the smog check taken care of.
This little jewel, though... I've always loved these Brats!!! It has an exhaust leak that would probably need fixed before it'd pass emissions. Gonna need new tires. Its a manual transmission. Its rather sleepy off the line, not at all good for entering the freeway by my house. It would not be real practical for the family. I don't know that having a car seat strapped in the back would be practical OR legal!!! Probably that would mean the younger would have to ride inside, and one of us would be out back. What happens when it rains???

Having said all that, though.... I LOVE THIS LITTLE TRUCK!!! It has the T-tops, which are actually not full-on T-tops, but more like sideways moonroofs, so the integrity of the door frame is preserved. It has a slider rear window. Of course, it is a 4x4, not that that has ever been a criteria for my consideration, but it does present the option of taking it out dune buggying!!! It looks fairly decent, only major damage being a large dent on the tail gate (which seems to keep it from opening, too) that the owner's dad said was exactly where there was a "support our troops" magnet. Damned communists!!! Its only on the second owner, and has lots of documentation. It is really a great little truck. I could probably pick it up, fix the exhaust and buy tires, drive it all summer until I get tired of working that clutch, and sell it off for more that I bought it for. They don't make 'em like this no mo', and everyone seems to really like them. I think it would make a great truck for picking up girls.... For my wife!!! Subarus seem to be the unofficial car of lesbians around these parts.

I was going to look a a Geo Storm on the way back, but we'd left the oldest with a friend and it was getting late. Interesting story on that one, too, about how I would probably never experience negative equity if I got it. Maybe I'll share it if I get a chance to check it out tomorrow (which is shaping up to be a very busy day) but suffice it to say I've always liked their style, too, and it is an auto.

But, OH, that little BRAT!!!

1 comment:

Lilly said...

Neat pics.
The brat.. ha.
You don't need a brat.
Nobody does.
I'm sure you will find the right vehicle.. keep looking.