Saturday, July 30, 2005

Korean Cars First Impressions Part Two

I haven't made mention here, but suck-ass Infinity Insurance of Arkansas is still dragging their asses on getting me any sort of settlement, so until last Thursday I was still driving around in that suckey Kia. Its really not such a bad car, gets great mileage and has a nice ride and supersonic good stereo. Its just ugly and gutless. Anyway, the rental company called me on Wedenesday and said they wanted it back to close out the account and do maintenance on it, which I figured would happen. I just so happened to have a doctor's appointment the next day for my back pain, which has been fairly constant since the accident. Afterwards, I went to the rental place to exchange for another car. Apparently they did not have any comparable cars, so they comp'ed me up to a Hyundai Sonota. I knew that Hyundais have really come up in quality since their first days of turning out junky little cars that didn't last, must have to offer 10 year warranties. I'll say this, I'm impressed!!! Probably helps that this is a nicely optioned car, with the V-6 and lots of power goodies. It has a sunroof, which is great for me, because I usually have the windows cranked down instead of running the A/C. This thing, for its prodigious size, has some BALLS!!! I was punching it on the way home, going "YEAH!!!" The Kia, I'd have to drop it down into 1st gear to climb up the hill to my home (approximately 1/4 of a mile on a 10% grade, I'd say) to keep it from upshifting and not having enough torque to sustain speed, having to floor it to get it to downshift, having it shift back up after its to speed, etc, etc... I went to climb it in the Hyundai, and it squeaked the front tires a bit, then climbed that sucker like a mountain goat!!! I had it up to 40, and it was pulling for more like it has a bottomless well of torque and loves nothing more than to show off!!! It's not quite up to the level of the Camaro or Falcon, but it pulls!!! Now I've been looking on eBay for Hyundais. They seem to all be in Texas, for some reason. The thing has a plush interior, too, nice seats, plastic burled wood... I feel just like a Korean pimp!!!

No comments: