Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Piercing Post

Happy New Year's Eve!!! Already 2010 in some parts of the country, I guess. Here's a post that's been kicking around for a while now that I'm finally getting to posting, after a bit of polishing and embellishing!!!



The story behind my piercing goes something like this. My brother in law and I were at a swap meet one time, and one of the booths had ear rings and were offering free piercing with purchase. I had sometimes considered getting a nipple pierced, and so at this particular booth, I asked the young lady if I bought a hoop if she'd put it through my nipple. She was somewhat taken aback, but finally replied that yes, I suppose I could... I was a bit short on cash, and furthermore not yet fully commited to the hole. My B-I-L was greatly amused by the whole prospect and said he'd pay for it if I were going to do it. I declined at that point, but the idea continued to take hold, sweetened by the fact that I had someone to finance the cause. Years passed, and my brother in law died, but the idea did not. It actually got to a point where I could sense the absence of a ring through my left nipple (at the conception of the idea, I had neither side chosen, but knew that I only wanted one side). I think it was around seven years or so later, while working at the hell hole that had bought my previous employer, near Christmas. We used to get bonuses in the thousands of dollars. That year I got a whopping $50. I decided to buy myself something I'd been wanting for a while with it, and went to a tattoo and piercing studio not terribly far from my home after work and got it, unbeknownst to my wife and family. They were largely shocked and apalled. A word to the wise, do not get a nipple piercing while driving yourself in a larger car with no power steering!!!

A funny postscript to this tale (besides the trauma that it caused one of my work friends): On our last full day in Hawaii, the older boy and I went over to the tower in the ocean that people would jump off into the water. I think for the most part of the time we were there, we were the only mainlanders there, and the rest were locals. One of the girls there was a classic South Pacific islander, quite big with a great extroverted personality to go with it. While waiting our turn to climb up once, she asks me, "Did it hurt???" I reply, "It stung when they did it, and that whole side of my chest was sore for a day or two after... especially cranking the wheel on a car with no power steering!!!" She replies, "No, I mean when somebody yanks on it, did it hurt???" I had to think for a moment before I replied that that's never really been an issue!!!

3 comments:

susan said...

ouch,ouch,ouch...can't say that I have ever had the desire to get anything piercing other than my ears tho I've had plunty of friends that have all kinds piercings. Guess you could say I'm more a piercer than a piercie.

Bethany said...

Haha cute story. Interesting, Susan says the same thing about feeling the lack of body alteration when we talks about her tattoo(s). I just can't really imagine it myself. That being said, I'm sure you remember some of the great considerations I've put into get my nose peirced. I still think I'm going to do it some day.

Anonymous said...

I find that photo very sexy

then again...
I have been in a sexy mood

shhh don't tell


bgsno: Buff guys sew new oats