Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Tale of Two Starters

Or "What's up with all the starter troubles???"

I had been getting estimates on the removal of the pepper tree near the edge of our property. It grows like a weed, and regularly encroaches on the neighbor's house. Incidentally, this is the same end of the property that has the driveway, and the tree is at the end of the driveway. And the driveway is full of cars. A few weeks back I was going to take the Falcon down to my parents house and do some work on it there, and possibly get it two-toned. However, the starter was acting up. Actually, the starter sounds like it has a handful of gravel thrown in.

This morning, after taking the oldest boy to a breakfast fundraiser, I exchanged an old Ford starter I had sitting in the basement (possibly from the original six cylinder that used to be in the Falcon, it looked slightly different) so I wouldn't have to do that while I'm greasy.



Last Wednesday, after my wife took the boys to school, Janice wouldn't start up again. Didn't even crank, just did a click, and nothing more. Hmmmm, I've had something like this happen before... and it ended up being the better part of a year before she was back on the road!!! Only thing was, this time she didn't crank right before she stopped. I would try the starter, and it would click but not turn, and make a rather faint high pitched squeak, perhaps like something was slipping. Anyway, I had the idea, as I'd had last time, that the engine got on a compression stroke and the starter didn't have quite enough to kick it past there. Instead of cranking it back as I'd done last time, I had the brilliant idea of pulling the glow plugs out to relieve the pressure. I'd remembered them as being much easier to remove last time I'd worked on her. Got them out, and it still did the same thing. The main reason I'd been avoiding just pulling out the starter is that it's a major pain to do so. It requires every one of my socket extensions to be used from the opposite end of the transmission. After putting the glow plugs back in (and breaking one terminal off and losing one of their little nuts) I finally relented and went ahead and pulled the starter out. Lo and behold, it does the same thing with no engine load on it!!!

Of course, I'd asked wifey which car I should work on first, and she'd opted for Janice. By the time I'd gotten everything back together and cleaned up, it was nearing full dark. And I'd been thinking I'd be able to get the grass mowed today, it's full of weeds and really has liked all the rain we've had in the last couple of months.

So that's what happened today, I got one new starter, which I didn't get put in, and I got one old starter that doesn't work pulled out.

5 comments:

susan said...

Like the photo you took for this post. Those starters look like hand grenades. Are they both Duds?

I had a 1983 automatic transmition VW bug with starter problems. Had to lay down on the ground and reach up under the running board on the driver's side with a long screwdriver to jump start it. I didn't mind so much in good weather, but I sure cussed alot if it was raining and I had to get dirty to start the thing. I finally replaced the ignition switch.
Could it be the altenator? Doesn't an altenator give a "click" sound when it goes bad?
Of course you could fill a thimble with what I know about such things.

Sorry to hear you're getting estimants to cut down the pepper tree.
quilt: questions useful in large toolbox

Anonymous said...

Check for a squirrel in the fan...or maybe it's not running fast enough for the belt to spin, (the squirrel that is)

ok, just a tad attempt at humor...hope she gets fixed soon Aye!

I love the names you chose for your cars.

gishree: gays in soho have rich extra excitement

pk-ie

Aye said...

The starters in the picture, one is the new one for the Falcon (she needs a proper name, huh???) and the old one from Jancie. I think the Falcon's starters tend to fragment much like a grenade, for some reason. I took the picture in the overgrown grass :Þ for visual effect.

Got the new one on Sunday, put it back in, and it doesn't even make any noise at the starter!!! Possibly something in the wiring between??? I've got an idea of something to try to test this hypotheses, I shall see....

In the meantime, I'm glad for having the Maverick in good running condition. Bonus, the gas gauge that wasn't working a while ago has suddenly started working again!!!

susan said...

Now iffen yo take that old starter and weld it in an upright position to a old transmission gear cog. Presto!!!
Amazing coffee table POP ART sculpture, remanence of Buck Rogers in the 25th century.

Got to have a sparkle in your eyes to do electrical diagnostics, I'm sure you'll find the wire problem.

My brother once used the wires from an old washing machine to rewired his motorcycle, all his bros ask him where he got the bright colours from.

Anonymous said...

I still think the noise was from a squirrel in da engin

pk

get to do another word ver!!!!!

he he

blblfloc: big ladies become2 large for lives ordinary dull-Creatures

oh, all right, I cheated a bit