Saturday, March 28, 2009

CupDate and a Bit-O-Random

Got the annual notice from the Fire Department. Brush clearance time. Actually, I never got one, but my parents, who are the owners of the adjacent lot, got theirs. Anyway, my parents came up today and my dad and myself and the oldest attempted to make the yard compliant. It certainly is more so than it was, but still a long way to go. We exceeded the yard waste allotment by quite a bit.



This picture was in my camera when I took the shot of toofy boy. I had no idea where it came from, but the oldest just told me that he'd taken it a few weeks back. It was in the yard, and he was impressed by the bug.

Speaking of bugs, tonight on Baby's rear trunk reflector, there was a little moth with a very wide wingspan. If I had my camera with me, I would have gotten a picture.



This cup was from a week ago on Friday. I had been throwing totes, and in that area they have the yellow circle stickers, and the numbered bar codes. I had downloaded Microsoft's Image composite editor to try and stitch the rotational view of the cup together. The documentation on it is very lacking, and it doesn't work, at least in this case. I'll try some other time.

I've never updated on Janices' starter. The day after the starter post, I exchanged it for another of their "lifetime" starters. Spent the afternoon installing it, and it didn't even make the little whirr noise, the only noise it made was the relay on the opposite side of the engine compartment!!! Actually, I think I did put that in comments to that post. Anyway, before I got going on the yard today, I disconnected the starter from everything but the battery and tried to jump it to test my wiring hypotheses. That was a fail. Jacked the car up again (naturally, she's parked on the street, which has about a 10% slope to it, makes for good times and a dicey proposition!!! Also, my sockets will roll away if I'm not careful) and pulled the starter out. I'm actually getting pretty good at that, didn't take me long at all. Doesn't work loose from the transmission, so I tried it first just on cables to the battery, then on Bessie's battery. Dead on arrival!!!


There was a meeting last week by the investment firm that handles our deferred profit sharing account. It was interesting for the first half. The second half, the other guy had a rather droning voice, and that combined with being in a darkened room for the presentation in the afternoon, had a narcoleptic effect on several of us!!!



While working in the yard today, I happened on one of the old brake drums from Bessie. The one that had one of the wheel studs cross threaded, and I had drilled out. There's a nasturtium growing up through the drilled out lug stud hole!!!

Ever hear of Stupid Fun Club??? I had heard of it, and just the name sounds like something where it could be the exception that proves the rule of the Groucho Marx adage "I would never join a club that would have me as a member!!!" Unfortunately, their web site doesn't seem as fun as the name implies. Guess I'll just have to make my own stupid fun!!!

Sammy contacted me a bit ago. Thursday before last I went to see him at his and his new wife's (new wife makes it sound like he had an old one... no, just newly married to her) new place. He'd gotten married, moved to this place, then those scumbags at my old job laid him off. I'm glad I got out of there at the time I did. He made some great chicken tacos and guacamole and salsa. The guacamole was a bit on the sweet side, I've never had guacamole like that before. I don't think it was intended that way, but it was pretty good. I'm actually craving some of that right now.



My wife took the oldest to the recycling center ($23.00, way to go!!!) this morning when I was starting in the yard, so I had her exchange Janices' starter. They tested it for her, and declared that it had a faulty solenoid. I asked her if she made them test the replacement. She hadn't. This evening, after cleaning up, I took the jumper cables out and tried it out. It doesn't seem to work at all, either!!! The solenoid kicks the gear into place, but it doesn't spin!!! It will be tested before I bring home another.

They called Sammy about coming back to work some. I have mixed feelings about that. Kind of how you feel when a lady friend tells you she's getting back together with an abusive, or even just scummy or loser ex boyfriend. I think those guys qualify as all of the above, but it ain't easy out there these days.

Apparently, according to the statement they mailed me, my deferred profit sharing account lost almost $4,000. Pretty impressive, actually!!! As I often say, if you don't sell when it's down, you don't lose a thing!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

where to begin? Um...that bug was incredible..a skeeta? Or a dragon fly..big sucker! I feel bad for sammy too but any job is better then none at this point ya know? So many out of work. The cups are cute and I hope you get your car all fixed soon. I know there was something else....

but I would have to use the back button to read again and then I would lose me comment. So, later gater!

pk
noncom: noopy oopy no-noopy coopied on moopy

Aye said...

The real skeeters were coming out by the time we were wrapping up in the yard yesterday evening. I'm sure this was larger, what I've always heard referred to as a mosquito hawk. Wiki'd it, and it's in the family Tipulidae are commonly known as crane flies. Now I know. The part I found amusing, and I cut and paste, was the nicknames: mosquito hawk, mosquito eater (or skeeter eater), gallinipper, gollywhopper, Texas mosquito, and jimmy spinner.

When you're making your comment and need to refer to the original post, you can click on the "Show Original Post" under the title.

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for that tip! And the wiki learnin...we have them big suckers here too, ya know,.... on Long Island, I never saw a skeeta that big in 40 plus years! When I got here there were a ton of them! And all the bugs were bigger and the crows!! Good lord they are ginormous here, the black crows are huge!! Feel like I'm in Texas

the men got a bit short changed though

haha

oh, oh, oh and I finally saw a blue bird of happiness here!!! awesome and the blue jays are much bigger here too. And the sky is so much prettier

pk

rabdfy: rice and beans do fill ya

haha

Anonymous said...

oh haha Aye go here and listen to the song that loads on this blog, ya gotta do it tonight though, cause she changes the song
http://blogspot.ubermouth.com/
cracked me the hell up! and it fits with my skeeta/man's comment...lol

pk

susan said...

Spring! It feels good to get outside and clean up the yard. For me it's raking up the pine cones, that is if it's doesn't rain today. Your lucky to have a crew to work with.

Thanks for the insect lession, I've never heard of so many nicknames for "skeeter eaters".

Hope you get a working starter for Janice soon. The good news is you'll be able to install it in half the time because you already know how.

Your Super Hero cup photo... very creative!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you and your family Aye!

Hope you had a beautiful day.

Pank

wingstio: wings tickle in Oz