Thursday, October 02, 2008

Reptiles Abound

I bought the fourth track able tank of gas for Baby tonight. It was the farthest I've travelled on a single tank thus far, 326.7 miles. The first time I needed to purchase gas for her, going down the hill it was giving the only low fuel warning I've had. Anyway, I bought more gas than ever before, 10.41 gallons, for a total of 31.38 MPG for this tank. If you're paying attention, this would be the best mileage so far, and drags my running average up to 29.62 MPG. Not bad at all!!!



And now, for a little story I thought I'd share. I don't recall what made me remember what made me think of it, but it came to memory last night for some reason.

Several years ago, my brother in law had a couple of cool things. One was a Jeep CJ-7, and the other was a pet Rosy Boa snake, who my wife had named Rhoda. One summer afternoon, he and my wife and I decided to go to Tommy Burger in Long Beach for some lunch. As it was quite warm out, we decided to take his Jeep, since he had the hard top and doors all stripped off for the warm weather. The Tommy Burger has nothing but outdoor seating, also perfect for summertime dining. When we got there, we laid the quite relaxed Rhoda on the dashboard to sun while we dined.

We didn't pay a lot of attention to her, which turned out to not be a great idea. When we returned to the Jeep, she was nowhere to be seen. A little bit of looking around revealed that she'd gotten up underneath the dash board. Too high to be easily reached, but nowhere near the steering or pedals, so we drove back to my parents house (where he was renting a room at the time) to see if we could get her out there, or remove parts to gain better access. He went to work on it while we did whatever it was we'd come over to do. She continued to slither farther up into the dashboard. At some point, he gave up and put the doors back on, hoping to contain her within the Jeep until she decided to come down on her own accord.

Sometime that afternoon, my older sister stopped by in her convertible Mustang. Later that evening, after we'd gone home, I get a frantic call from her. "Rhoda is here!!! She's slithering out from my car!!! Call up Scott and get him over here to get his snake!!!" She's freaking out. I found this remarkable, but agreed to give him a call and let him know. I called him up, "Hey Scott!!! Your snake is crawling out from my sister's car!!!" His response was predictable: "Nu uh!!! She is not!!!" Eventually I was able to convince him, and he retrieved Rhoda.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is such a cool photo, I'm glad Rhonda was safe!

pank

arjuwrj: animals run joyously under winding roads jumping

susan said...

Nu Uh!!! LMAO!
Good story Aye.

She won't drink pop,
She won't drink soda
That's my baby Rosie Boa,
Streached out on the dashboard of my jeep.
She don't talk,
ner a peep,
What she likes is to slowly creep
in the dashboard of my CJ-7.
Ya'll can yell, and ya'll can hallor,
"I'm gonna buy you a rinestone collar."
That don't make no nevermind to her.
Cuz a CJ-7 ain't no heaven,
For a Rhoda with a wondering eye.
Please understand it's the call of nature,
Some will ride the hubs of Hell.
Oh well!
Ain't strange?
What rides on the dashboards in life?

Are you sure the average is 29.62 and not 29.63?

Aye said...

Pank, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a picture of a CJ7 and a snake!!! That one had to suffice.

Haha, that's a great poem Susan!!! Love it!!! No, I'm not sure on the numbers, and I've managed to confuse myself even more checking my numbers!!! I had been just adding the current tank's total to my previous mileage and dividing by 2, but I went back and added all my mileages and divided by 4 and came up with 29.65!!! The numbers keep going up, so I added all the miles travelled and gas pumped, and divided the one by the other and came up with 29.71 (actually to about twenty decimal points)!!! The numbers keep getting better, I should have been an economist!!! I'm greatly amused and pleased when I see commercals for cars boasting of their 24 MPG!!!

Susan said...

I flunked Statistics twice, even burned the formulas on a pair of hicking boots thinking that would help me. The only way I could pass the class was to write a long paper on how statistics were used to prove a point-of-view.

Around 30 MPG sounds good to me!

Anonymous said...

ya did good with that pic.
:)

and your getting way too good gas mileage.

otagfk: Oliver Twitty and George Forrest kissed

pank

susan said...

Hay Aye, I found a photo of a baby bowl snake.