Monday, November 06, 2006

A Sleazy Proposition


Tomorrow is voting day. Be sure to get out and vote!!! My main hard and fast rule for all the propositions is not to vote for any of the bond issues. Almost every one of these ends up costing in my property taxes. A lot of renters don't see it, but if you are one, know that any property tax increase will be passed along to you. So many of the ads about the propositions are SO transparent that it is amazing that anyone pays attention. The big one here is 87, an oil extraction tax to pay for alternative energy research, with provisions to keep the costs from being passed along to consumers at the pump. We'll just see if that actually pans out that way. The other top three oil producing states have an extraction tax. The ads against it, though... "it's a bad idea, it'll never work, it will end up costing you more at the pump!!!" And you'll never guess who's paying for it. Citizens against higher taxes, AKA big oil!!! Wow, didn't see that coming!!! They have spent over $100,000,000.00 on it. Unfortunately, Slick Willie has been stumping in favor of it, and I've heard several people who were also in favor who are re-thinking because of that.

Next up is proposition 86. A cigarette tax of $2.60 per pack. The proceeds will go to various health programs, and a hit like that alone, I would think, would be a big nudge in the right direction to people who are thinking about or trying to quit. Naturally, it's opposed by (you'll never guess) big tobacco!!!

Another one out there that hasn't gotten quite as much coverage is 85, requiring parental notification before performing abortions for minors and a 48 hour waiting period. Ready for the amazing, unpredictable opposition??? Planned parenthood!!!

I've already made my view on bond measures, but I feel this one deserves a special condemnation. Proposition 84 is a "clean water" bill with a 5.4 billion dollar price tag. I'm as for clean water as anyone, but the trouble with this bill... It's been done before!!! Five times already, if I'm not mistaken. Every time, the funds get treated as government's piggy bank.

The one that I do like is proposition 1A. This is the one we need more like it. Instead of raising taxes or issuing bonds, it keeps politicians and government from raiding taxes that we've already allocated and sees to it that they go where they're supposed to go.

Perhaps I'll do an update on what makes it!!!

4 comments:

me said...

haha! You should see all the junk mail I get to from all the politicians...those are flyers you received right? Pics don't come out to well for me to see lol. We have a Repub woman running for town supervisor here and I got annoyed becuase she enclosed a, "nail file" as a vote Pam Green prop! Surprised she didn't enclose a tube of mascara!
There is probably some kind of catch to every proposal....as you said. You really do your homework on this stuff! Great job AYe!

Happy voting!

me said...

btw AYe, I personally like some of the catches, my votes would be the direct opposites of yours.
It's hard to trust anything now a days though isn't it?
The world is so confusing.
:)

Aye said...

Yea Eyeball, I'm all for 87, mostly because the oil companies are against it. If I remember correctly they were against taking tetra ethyl lead out of gas back in the 70's, "Can't be done, it'll never work, gas will cost more than $20 a tank" (this was back in the 70's after all) Reality is that there is a finite amount of crude around, and it gets harder and harder to get it out, of course it's going to cost more as we go along. Now, when they have obscene profit margins, it reeks of gouging.

Pank, I don't know if all our votes would cancel each other or not, but either way good that we're both going to vote!!! BTW, the pic was from my parent's house. I spent the night there last Friday again to finish up the car and my dad and I went to the junkyard's half price day sale. I made many a cool score there, including a pair of green suede Vans shoes in my size and a green hard hat!!! I'm going to heavily lysol both before I wear either, LOL!!! Anyway, they were at the movies when I got there, and in the TV room I found all this propaganda spread all over the floor. Perfect photo op!!!

Another propositon is about tracking released sex offenders and not having them living near schools or parks. I'm all for it, but my mom was reading about it and it has where it might cost the state money on the tracking devices "depending on the offender's ability to pay". If they are on parole and can't pay for the tracking device, I say throw their ass back in the pen!!!

NOOPK = No only on proposition killers

me said...

I so agree with that Aye! The pen costs much more then the ankle monitor to tax payers but imo sex offenders should never see the light of day again, especially when it comes to children.
Have a great night Aye!
Say hi to Naomi.
Hello eyeball!
: )