Wednesday, November 22, 2006

B.S. For Dinner


The other night I had a couple of turkey pot pies for dinner. It so happened that I had two different brands in the freezer, a Banquet and a Swanson. Since I've not posted in a while and it is Thanksgiving, I thought it was a pretty decent tie-in. Turkey is OK by itself or with some gravy, but given the choice I would usually go with the ham over turkey. Turkey pot pie, though... it doesn't get much better than that!!! I would mark one pie with a "B" and the other with an "S" and do a comparison. The instructions always say to cut a slit in the top, but with the frozen crust this usually doesn't work very well. I usually just poke holes with a fork, and this time I did so in these letter shapes.

My feeling going in was that the Banquet is the superior pie. I don't know why, perhaps it is because I'm more used to seeing that brand, since my youth. The color scheme of red seems more appealing to me than the blue of the Swanson. Saving my perceived best for last, I plopped out the Swanson pie first. I was ravenous, so it was really good to me. Next came the Banquet pie. It did not come out of the (paper) pie tin cleanly, leaving part of the crust stuck to it. Doesn't matter a whole lot, I cut the thing into bite size pieces first thing anyway, but I had to work at the crust to get the remains off the edge. Perhaps this was because it had a chance to cool off more, and adhered to the tin during the process. It tasted... well, about the same, maybe not quite as good. Maybe that was because I had some in my belly already and wasn't as famished, or perhaps because the crust had wronged me. Either way, I can declare neither one a decisive winner. My preference will continue to be whichever one has a better price!!!

After the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm thinking chili. Last weekend the wife and I went out to Claim Jumper for dinner, and we both had dishes featuring their chili, which is quite good. That got me to thinking that I've not made my chili in a while, I should try making some something like theirs, with big chunks of steak. Not gonna happen this weekend, it's Thanksgiving, and after that I'll we'll be out of town for a few days. Possibly the weekend after... and hey!!! I'll probably have some leftover turkey!!! Never tried turkey chili before, and everyone will probably like that better than turkey straight. Could be some ham left over, too, another thing I've never tried in chili. I've got two crock pots, one for the each of ya!!!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!! Hope your leftovers have a happy ending, too!!!

5 comments:

susan said...

Blessings of the day to you and your family.

Bethany said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of ham chili... I'm all for the turkey chili though!

Hope you have a good holiday. Even though I'm a happy Canadian, happily living in Canada, we had a (US) Thanksgiving party at work yesterday because one of our co-workers recently moved up here from the states and she was feeling a little homesick. It was a blast! It also meant I got turkey dinner at my usual Canadian Thanksgiving in October, then again a few weeks later.

Lilly said...

very interesting taste test comparison aye.. good job! haha.

thanksgiving was fun. hope you guys had a great one!

me said...

I like pot pie's too. I like the soft thin crust on the bottom..best
Hope you had a good Thanksgivin.

me said...

btw...did ya know that you have to scroll down eleven feet to get to your latest posts?
Some kinda glitch goin on there, just thought maybe ya didn't know.
It's ok, I hum while scrolling.
; )
fkfhuc: Fancy Katy folds huge underwear carefully