Monday, August 16, 2021

Badge Engineering

As I'd previously mentioned, I had picked up a Scion badge for the Matrix when I was at the junkyard. This is the tale of how I modified it to make it fit!!!

To start off with, here's a close up of the grille as it was when we got it.

I picked up a sheet of black plastic from my work and cut a section into an oval. I actually did two ovals, but this one is the one I sanded to the size of the badge, the other one is slightly larger, to sandwich to the back of the grille.

The little hole aligns with the pin molded onto the back (the one that didn't break off when I was removing it!!!)

After I sanded the scratches out of it, I drilled a series of holes and threaded them. I put some long rounded head screws on either end, and some short flat head screws in between.

The long screws end up going through the empty area of the Toyota logo area in the grille and mounting to the back oval. The flat head screws I put between with the idea that the epoxy I was using to mount it down would get some grip around them and hopefully hold on well.

It didn't come out perfect, but it looks fine at a casual look, which I imagine is all it will usually get!!! I'm pleased with the result!!!

Oh, and since I'd made mention of the Voltz that was sold in Japan, a blatant case of actual badge engineering, I figured I'd include a picture of one of those, too!!!

No comments: