Saturday, November 14, 2009

Daylight Fading

Here's one from a while back. The song "Daylight Fading" by (surprise!!!) Counting Crows is the inspiration. Always liked this song, and it's apropos at this time of year, no??? Along the bottom are the opening lines:

Waiting for the moon to come & light me up inside,
I am waiting for the telephone to tell me I'm alright


(although I discover by searching the lyrics that it ends with "alive" instead of alright)



Waiting for the moon to come and light me up inside
And I am waiting for the telephone to tell me I'm alive
Well I heard you let somebody get their fingers into you
It's getting cold in California
I guess I'll be leaving soon

Daylight fading
Come and waste another year
All the the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear
Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn
When we see the early signs that daylight's fading
We leave just before it's gone

She said "everybody loves you,"
she says, "everybody cares"
But all the things I keep inside myself
they vanish in the air
If you tell me that you'll wait for me
I'll say I won't be here
I want to say good-bye to you
Good-bye to all my friends
Good-bye to everyone I know

Daylight fading
Come and waste another year
All the the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear
Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn
When we see the early signs that daylight's fading
We leave just before it's gone


Anyway, the fun part of this cup comes from co-workers reactions!!! My chum sees & reads it and says, "Sounds like he's talking about drugs!!! Light me up inside... The telephone, that's the connection... and the alright, that's when he's OD'ing!!!" I LOL, and tell him the next line (the hidden sub context to this cup, LOL!!!) and he LOLs and changes his opinion.

Another girl sees is and takes another, completely different take. She asks me, "Is that a song about someone with cancer??? Light them up inside = radiation therapy, and the telephone to tell me I'm alright, the doctor to call him back and tell him if they got all the cancer out!!!" Well, I'd never thought of it that way!!! I tell her I think the song is more about inter personal relationships, then tell her the next line. She LOLs and agrees that this IS more about something else. The more I thought about it, the more that makes sense, though!!! "Well, I heard you let somebody get their fingers into you" = it's prostrate cancer!!! "I guess I'll be leaving soon" & the whole second verse go with it being a terminal cancer. All the the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear has to do with his fear of dying.

I'd never thought of it that way. I always just really liked this tune. Funny thing, I've heard this song more on stores' PA systems as background music than any other Counting Crows song. Love that they play a song with the line, "Well, I heard you let somebody get their fingers into you" over the speakers at the grocery store!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A man or woman in love with another woman...she cheats, he/she knows and everyone else in his/her life pretends to care but they don't. It's time for he/she to move on and away from the familiar...the pretend....a new life or an ending to the old


my take

Would love to know the author's take

the beauty of lyrics as in books or poetry or the bible, are all up to the individual's interpretation..as you know but it is usually imo what the fear of one is the most

the cancer scenario fit pretty good but it doesn't feel right to me.

Letting ones fingers get inside could resemble a person getting under your skin too, so to speak

nice cup, interesting lyrics

as the moonlight shines on us all and takes us away to hopeful dreams

pnk


bulca: beauty unveils lost complicated attachments

Aye said...

Funny thing about the interwebs sometimes when you go searching around for something like the authors' take on their own song and you don't find that but you find something completely different!!! Adam often will tell exactly what he was thinking about in his songs (like with the Miller's Angels post I did), but I couldn't find any such for this song.

My take had always been that this is along the lines of a end-of-relationship song. The interesting thing I found, however, is that there was a demo of this song that came out sometime earlier with different lyrics!!! Also was performed live with these lyrics & circulated as a bootleg recording.

Sunday morning paper dated 1992,
There are cowboys in my kitchen,
empty bottles on the roof,
I've been trying to quit these cigarettes,
I've been trying to think its true,
Maybe she's gone to California,
maybe Ill go out there too.


Daylight fading come and waste another year,
all the anger and the elegance are bleeding into fear,
moonlight creeping round the corners of our lawn,
when she sees the early signs of daylight fading,
she leaves just before its gone.


Daddy's on the rooftop with his fingers in the gun,
And I am waiting at the window I am waiting for the one,
Shying in that paper when she walked into my room,
I said I want to say good-bye to you good-bye to all my friends,
Good-bye to everyone I know.


I can hear how it would go in my head!!! I'd love to hear it!!!

Changes my perception of how the song could have come to be!!! Adam was somewhat uncomfortable with his success at this time, and Kurt Cobain's suicide affected him deeply (think about that and look at the lyrics to "Catapult"). That seems to fit in with him shying from the paper. You can hear where some of the influences for the album version would have come from.

Now, if I could only find a copy of it....

Anonymous said...

Wow that makes a lot more sense now...suicide too...yes and a relationship ending...and what he wants to do..all rolled up in one song

Great lyrics on the second one.

you are the music swammy
:)


lagai: L.A. Gals all irritate

Anonymous said...

ooops that was me pank