Tuesday, October 06, 2009

My Eventful Weekend

As I've tweeted, October is shaping up to be a fairly eventful month!!! Starting last Friday, when I had a pair of tickets to Loggins & Messina at the Greek Theater. It was the only show that sounded like anything I was interested in on the list, and I managed to be the lucky one. A funny story about this season's drawing, a lot of people had put in for Lakers tickets, but ended up getting Clippers tickets!!! No one was signing up for them, so they're giving 'em away!!! Well, I guess they're giving 'em away no matter what, but now they're giving them away to people who didn't really want them.

Anyway, the concert was pretty good. I do like that venue, but I detest the parking there. I know he had a string of hits in the early 80's, but besides "Footloose" I couldn't think of another. Turned out not to matter, he didn't do ANY of those, "Footloose" included!!! Of the whole set, I only knew four songs, and two of those were covers. He opened the show by covering a Lynn Anderson tune that my wife used to go around singing all the time, which I think got him in her good graces. A rockin' good time, even though I wasn't as familiar with all the works. Oh, and the weather is feeling like autumn in Cali, and it was a nice, crisp night to be out under the stars.

Saturday Sammy and his brother were celebrating their birthdays at his parents house. As always, the food is amazing there. Got to meet his wife's brother and his high school friend, and two of his cousins, who are true delights. Boccie and Karaoke for all who would partake. My older boy sang a few, and Sammy told me he admired his taste in music. Sammy's brother told me it's an unfortunate time for him to be singing, in a Peter Brady kinda way. True and true.

Starting today I've been on call for jury duty. I had fun two years back when I went to serve, and thought it worked out pretty good. They've added in WiFi connectivity in the jury pool room, so I'd manage to keep well occupied the whole time. Unfortunately, I haven't been required to come in yet, so I've been having to go to work instead. I'll bet they call me in on Thursday, the day I've got an appointment for my flu shot at work.

But the part I really wanted to share about happened on Sunday. I'd taken the family out for some fast food lunch, and on the way back pulled into the grocery store to pick up a few things. I ask my wife if she's coming in or waiting, and her and my younger boy both elect to wait in the car. The older and I shop, and on the way out, here comes my wife and younger, walking towards me rather briskly. "Thank goodness you're here!!!", she tells me. I figure she urgently needs to use the restroom, so I'm taking the boy's hand, and I ask her if that's the case. "No!!!", she replies, "Some guy selling bootleg DVD's just molested me!!!" Huh??? This changes things, I'm getting a good head of pissed off going... She quickly tells me a bit of what'd happened, "There he is!!!", she says. It's on.





He sees me coming, with my wife, and he starts in trying to sell me some of his wares. Oh yea, this is going to go well for you, beotch. I roll up on him, asking WTF and who knows what all else (apparently quite loudly) cock back and take one swing, which he sees coming and gets his head moved sufficiently to the side to where it glances off, but I caught him square on the next shots. Next thing I've got him pushed over backwards on the trunk of Janice with my arm on his neck. Interestingly, he's lost the ability to speak English at this point. I pull back a little at this point, as I'm attracting witnesses. Don't know why that should have bothered me, I should have.... well, a lot of things I should have done differently, but I'll get to that later. Suffice it to say, I was concerned that the crowd was going to turn on me as the aggressor, and I was attempting to control that situation. I'm trying to explain to the crowd what'd happened, and get someone to call the law (not that I'd have been perfectly content to deal with him myself...)

The guy isn't really struggling much, so I finally pull out my own phone to call 911. I tell the dispatcher what's happened and where I'm at, and they transfer me to the actual police. At this point, scumbag starts wiggling while I'm trying to restrain him left-handed. I've got a grip on his shirt, and he manages to shuck it off and takes off running, leaving his bag of contraband DVD's. No one tries to stop him. They do, however, come up and start grabbing up all his DVD's. Anyway, he lost his shirt, I busted his sunglasses, he lost his stash of discs, and a tallboy of beer. Not the outcome I would have liked, but a small victory. And, I did get in a couple of good shots.

Five minutes or so later, three of the store employees and the manager come out to see if everything is OK. Um, no, not really, but a little late now!!! The manager asks if there's anything they can do, and I opine that a little more vigilance prior to would be a nice thing. He says they have a security guard, but he doesn't get there until 4:00. Makes sense, usually more problems when it starts getting later. I'm thinking a call to corporate asking what they're going to do to make this right may be in order. Half an hour later the police finally show up and take an incident report. That will probably be the last of this. Unless, of course, I see that guy again.

Now, what would I have done different??? Don't know why, but I think I have an ingrained "fight clean" ethic within me. First shot, I should have bagged him in the nuts. Hard. Repeatedly. That will take all the fight and a lot of the flight out of most anyone. Plenty of time to bust up his face after you incapacitate 'em. I'd love to have done some of that. Second thing, don't leave him upright. ON THE GROUND, AND STOP YOUR RESISTING!!! Third thing, hand off my phone to my wife or son to make the call, I've got other things to deal with. Next thing, if he tries to take off, go after 'em!!!

Oh, and wife seems to be doing fine. I know it's one of those incidents where you'll be replaying it over and over for days. I called her up today to see how she was doing, and she tells me she keeps seeing me pounding his face. I think that's a good thing.

8 comments:

Bethany said...

I love your tag of "then I punched a scumbag" -- I hope that's not one you have to use too often! Pretty wild story right there. I'm glad the wife's okay.

Starting today I've been on call for jury duty. I had fun two years back when I went to serve, and thought it worked out pretty good." -- I read that and was like yeah, I remember when he was on jury duty before... have we really been reading each other's blogs for like two years??? Wow.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Been gone for some weeks off the net and pop into visit and holy Moley! You been fightin and a brawlin! I don't really know how she was molested but was a bit curious...Why would a stranger do that to a grown woman ..what a sleeze! I mean, my imagination is running rampade but I dunno? Some sicko good lord! Glad you were there to defend the family and glad you are all doing good. Things like this, get the blood pumpin I'm sure and sometimes I think these things happen to make us feel alive or something cause out the blue, things like this happen to me...I mean real freaky things and iI can't help but think that at that very moment of these strange times...I felt so alive with the heart pumpin a million beats a minute and the body all energized and geee i don't know I just wonder if it makes me wake up a bit when I'm slackin...who the hell knows? It's just weird is all.

I would like to think we are mild mannered cape crusaders but every once in that while...eveyone ditches the cape and the blood pumps and ya just do what needs to be done to survive eat or be killed ya know?

i'm probablly making too much out of it but i hear ya kiddo

and yea, you'll probablly replay it for awhile but ya know what

Ya did what you thought was best at thae time...

no accidents an all

love
pank

Aye said...

Haha, yea, Beth, a little twist on the ol' "then I ate toast" tag!!! I'm up for using it just once more. I did the same thing on the jury duty, seems like it wasn't that long ago. Time sure flies!!! In fact, I thought it was one year and did a search to see when it really was. I do remember it was just about this time of year, though.

Pank, ya came back just in time to catch up on the action!!! Impeccable timing!!! Yea, bizarre behavior on the part of scumbag. He had been drinking (probably quite to my advantage) but still, I don't know that I've ever been drunk to where that would seem like a good idea!!! Who knows, maybe some other controlled substance mixed in there, too. Sexual battery is how the law classified it, basically trying to put his hands everywhere you'd not want 'em. And your hand where you wouldn't want, either.

I know exactly what you mean, every once in a while something will come along and blast you right out of your nice, comfy rut and really fire you up!!! And I don't think you're making too much out of it at all, I'm right there with you!!!

Anonymous said...

:)

Yep! Love ya kiddo but gotta be honest

at my age and slow pace as of late

maybe I just wouldn't mind the ole hand slippin up me


hahahah


ok I'll stop

(no way from a stranger)

but man, I don't get any action anymore

everyone got too damn old and busy!

hehe


Panks

Aye said...

I'd been having the idea of going by the market tonight after work and putting their feet to the fire a little, I know they've got surveillance cameras, have 'em scan the couple hours before and see if they see him. Got home and my wife tells me the detective called her up and took a statement and said they were reviewing the video. Also said they didn't know where the guy's shirt was, and she got something in the mail today saying they'd entered it into evidence. Not a huge vote of confidence when the detectives can't find something at their own headquarters!!! I am pleased that they are doing more than just filing it away.

susan said...

That's my hero. ;)

Anonymous said...

great! You go get um! No, really, this guy can be doing it a lot to people and getting away with it!

Good for you!

say hey to nam

pank

Anonymous said...

you should check out Susans, "hero post" dedicated to you!

pnk