Friday, March 21, 2008

Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine


This was a strange thing. At work, they are doing additions to the bin structure where I work. They already lengthened them on the first level, and now are lengthening the remaining levels, as well as adding a third level to the red bins. Previously, working on the second level red bins was a bit like driving a convertible, having nothing immediately over your head. Yesterday I was in the second level red bins for a bit, and they had put in the bracing for the third level. that alone was a strange feeling, having something up there. Today, I was there again, and they'd added a floor for the third level, or a roof for the second level depending on how you look at it.



They had strung incandescent lights along the length of it. Very strange, as everywhere else has florescent lighting. There was something somewhat familiar about the look, and what came to mind was how the lighting in a mine or a submarine would be. Someone came over, and thought it reminded them of a garden party. All that was missing was their lawn chair. One of the other guys said it was like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. That seemed like the closest match, after I heard that.

2 comments:

susan said...

Dang! That's a big building, and you're right about the weirdness. It looks like a spookie movie set.

It's snowing right now so, I swiped your string-of-lights photo to cheer me up. :)
Wishing you and your family a,
Happy Easter.

Anonymous said...

Hope ya had a super duper Easter! My parents had similar lights...I think everyone did in the 60's. WHen we purchased our own house, there were two long lengths of these lights in a crawl space tucked away from the prior owners, I loved them, very festive. Then they started sparking and heating up too much, so I had to chuck em. I like the photo...wasn't spooked.

woasxkis: Wanda oats and slippery Xavier kangaroo-ed in silence
pnkl
tnkl