Thursday, January 18, 2007

Do Your Job, Go To Jail


Maybe you've heard of this story, maybe not. I find it to be a complete outrage, so I am relating it here.

Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean. Sounds like a couple of Mexican nationals, huh??? Wrong, they are American citizens, and what's more, they are doing what I feel to be an important job. They are border patrol agents along the Texas-Mexico border. Their job is to keep the bad guys out. Terrorists. Drug smugglers. Human traffickers.

One day, they see a suspicious van. They attempt to stop it, and it leads them on a chase. When the van can't outrun them, the driver bails and starts running. Shots are fired. Ramos says "I see Compean on the ground, but I keep running after the smuggler." The smuggler escapes. The van later was found to have about 800 pounds of marijuana inside.

Turns out they shot the smuggler in the ass.

All in a day's work, right???

Fast-forward to more than two weeks later: a Department of Homeland Security investigator tracks down the smuggler in Mexico, offering him immunity if he testified against the agents who shot at him.

Huh???

Compean has been ordered to serve 12 years behind bars. Ramos was ordered to serve 11 years.

Is this bizarro world or what???

7 comments:

Bethany said...

That is very bizarre... And very troubling, I think. I'd be tempted to write letters to the department of Homeland Security, but then, them being the department of Homeland Security and all that, I'd also be afraid that if I did I would end up on some List. Creepy laws like the patriot act allow for people to be put on Lists. Sometimes I think you live in a scary place, Aye.

Granny said...

WTF??

me said...

You've gotta be kidding me!

Why isn't this in the news?
Dept. Of Homeland security probably owned that pot.. was it headed to W's ranch?
Cripes what a story.

Lilly said...

They had good lawyers.. damn.

It's a fucked up situation, but its the only legal system we got. I am not sure, but I believe it's better than most other n the world. Even though, and even though.

PS I hope these 2 win on appeal. Surely there is a judge who can see the insanity.

susan said...

This story is buzzing here in Ferry County. The Office of Homeland Security is a big employer in this county because we border Canada. The same problems that the Border Patrol have with Mexico we have here.
This story takes the term "Blind Justice" to an extreme. It doesn't do and good to fight the Law, but we can change it, or over rule the interpretability of the Law, and thats done by public opinion. If we don't have the courage to fight an injustice done to others,(those in an elected position know that one letter is the probable opinion of hundreds)who will come to our rescue if such a thing ever happens to us?
Do we want to live in a Free County, or a Gestapo State? Put me on the "shit list" if that's what it takes.

Lilly said...

If anybody is keeping a "shit list" on me.. I bet that they laugh at least 3 times a day at something I do. I'm happy to help my CUNT-tree.
hahaha

I hear ya susan..

susan said...

Right, county, cuntree, country, contrary...one of those should fit.