Monday, January 01, 2007

Christmas Corn Revisited

(Haha, I have NO idea what the deal with it is, but I found a tamale with a carrot!!!)

On the comments to my last Christmas Corn post, I discovered that our friends north of the border are not familiar with this culinary delight from south of the border. Picture if you will, a kind of corn meal dumpling wrapped around some kind of meat, and that is kind of like a tamale. To this end (and since Moon Goddess was so good as to bring me up to speed on trifle), here is a recipe I found for chicken tamales. I found it on MexGrocer, who in all likelihood will be a necessary stop for vital supplies of masa and corn husks, should anyone decide to try this out. Chicken is good, but I also like beef or pork tamales, as well as having had them with just cheese or chilies in them, too. I should qualify this by saying that I've never made my own tamales, but I've had other people's for years. My sister made some AWESOME ones for us just last week. Eyeball, if you've got a tamale for me, I'm there!!!

Ingredients:

6 cups Maseca Corn Masa Mix for Tamales
6 cups Chicken broth
1 cup corn oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 large rotisserie chicken
2 cans salsa verde or tomatillo sauce
1 bag corn husks



Recipe Instructions:

Soak the corn husks in warm water until soft.
Blend with an electric mixer Maseca corn masa mix for tamales, corn oil, salt, baking powder and the chicken broth to obtain a consistent mixture.
Shred the chicken and marinate in the green salsa or tomatillo sauce.
Spread masa evenly over corn husks, and spread a spoonful of marinated chicken on top of the masa.
Fold the sides of the corn husk to center over the masa so that they overlap to make along package.
Fold the empty part of the husk under so that it rest against the side of the tamale with a seam.
Place the tamales in a steamer and cook tamales for 35-40 minutes. Check every 20 minutes.The tamales are cooked when they separate easily from the corn husk.

By the way, those hot tamale candies are in my top ten of favorite candies... could be the perfect meal, hot tamales and hot tamales!!!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Interesting. They really don't seem that outrageously obscure... I wonder why we don't really do the tamale thing up here. I'm sure that if one goes to a specialty restaurant, one might find them, but I'm not even sure where I'd start to look.

Sounds yummy though!

Granny said...

Yummo!! I love REAL Tamales..
I'll have to try this sometime...

I'd prolly haffa have corn in mine, and I'm sure Lillian would have to have carrots..

Lilly said...

hahaha love the title.. hahahhaha..

Aye said...

LMAO Lilly!!! Hadn't even thought about that, the thing about corn... after you eat it, it always revisits!!!

UPQPIVX = Untidy people quietly pee in vials (of) xanax