Monday, July 01, 2024

Ouch

Yesterday my wife was up getting ready while I was still in bed, resting, maybe a little snoozing when I hear a ruckus. Cat howling noises, and my wife loudly talking to the boy. What the heck???

Turns out the boy was up on the counter (he knows he's not supposed to be up there) and when he went to jump down, one of the drawers was just a little open. His back foot went in, and there he went. I don't know if he was hanging by his leg or what, but my wife got all clawed up on her hands.

He's favoring his leg, hopping around 3 legged. We manage to get him in his carrier, and off to the vet's we go. We had to wait quite a while, but they'd put us in an exam room. We let him out, and he was exploring the room. They had a little container of treats, and he had a few of those. He didn't seem that bad, other than favoring his leg.

When the doctor finally makes it in, they say they are going to give him some pain killer and sedate him to take X-rays and see what's going on. I had to get home for work, and they say they'll call.

The first two X-rays it looks broken, but not terrible. (I like the way his tail X-ray looks!!!) The third... yeah it looks bad.

We arrive back at the vets, they bring his carrier out, and have us waiting for he pain meds, when the boy lets out some shrieks and howls for a few moments. My wife thought it was because someone had brought a dog in. We get set up and take him home, let him out of the carrier, and lo and behold, he's gotten the splint off!!!

Packed him back up, and took him back. They apologize, and say they'll sedate him again and re splint him. Give them a couple hours. This has been a long day, so I head home and lay back. They give me a call, and I head back, pick him up and bring him home again. Let him out of the carrier, and he hobbles out dragging his leg, obviously none too pleased with the splint. He relaxes for a couple minutes, then flips out again and kicks the splint off his leg. Back in the carrier, and start heading back. My wife calls, and they say don't bother. The doctor says some cats just will not tolerate a splint, and it's really looking like he's one!!! Put him in a room where he won't jump up on stuff, with his food and a litter box they say. I make some room in the laundry room and set him up. He's still limping and 3-legging, but mostly he's got a pretty good attitude about it.

More to come...

No comments: