Monday, July 08, 2024

Happy Get Day

One year ago today was the day Sidney came into our lives. He's a beloved animal companion member of the family.

Sad that he's got a busted leg for the big day, but he's on the mend it appears, and seems like he's doing well. The follow up to the previous post, I took him to a veterinary surgical center a week ago on my day off. I'd had a dentist appointment that day, and had been hoping to get him scheduled for surgery and be back in time for that. It didn't work out like that, it was pretty far on in the day by the time they examined him. They said he was a little dehydrated and had a little fever, so they would like to keep him until Wednesday to get him stabilized, then do the surgery on Wednesday. I was fine with that, as he's not the best patient.

They said to come pick him up on Thursday, the 4th of July, in the morning. OK, we'll do that. Our plan had been to go down to my mom's and eat and swim, but my wife was concerned about leaving Sid alone, so she stayed home, and we went to Long Beach. A couple of the younger's friends came down, too. My wife's car had the change oil light on, and I did that on her flat driveway with all lifting equipment right there in the garage.

They put a rod and a plate on the break. Don't know if they're going to do X-rays when he has his check up this week, but I'd like to see them!!! When we got him back, he had another splint on his leg. It didn't last.

The surgery center said to come back on Friday and they'd put another on. I didn't think it would take, either, (and I was working that day, so my wife and the younger did it) but what they did this time was to splint the leg, then wrap the other hind leg so he can't kick it off!!! It's worked out good, and he's not complaining at all!!! The other thing the vet said to do is try and find a large cage and confine him. We were able to borrow a cage from some friends, and he likes it fine!!! They say 10 weeks for the recovery. Wow.

So, in addition to the medical update, here's a few pictures from the past year. Firstly, the first two pictures feature the half shaved cat butt. Love the way his pattern goes to the skin!!!

The younger mentioned that we now have enough splints to put one on each leg!!! A few of the other pictures are a little blurry, but I just love the one of him on top of the claw post (one of his favorite spots to sit) reaching out his paw. Sleeping in a pizza box.

And the one time he found Mochi's catnip sardine behind the couch!!!

No comments: