Monday, September 05, 2022

The Obligatory Jury Duty Post

They got me again with jury duty. As I've said before, I don't mind a little break in the routine! Only this time, I never got a summons, just a postcard with draconian language about $1,500 fines for a summons I never got. I emailed them and told them as much, and they replied to just use the information on the postcard to sign in to get re-assigned. Of course, the first week was when I had something planned a couple of the days, so I requested to be moved, and they put me on call for last week. I think it was right around when a 3-day weekend was coming up last time I had jury duty, too, and it got to the end of the week calling in and not having to go in, and I was thinking, "surely they won't actually be doing much work right before a 3-day weekend, will they?" I don't think they were, but I was called in anyway. I have been having a terrible year keeping up with the blog, so I thought I'd get this one going while it's still fresh!!! I've got 3 or more that I could put together, but haven't made it yet, so here we go!!!

To start off the Obligatory Jury Duty post, here's your Obligatory Disney Concert Hall pictures!!!

While we were in the area for the Community Day, I had taken a few pictures of a couple of structures across from there, new since last time I've been there. It is done in yellow and gray-silver colors, kind of in what makes me think of a building block style. Never posted any pictures of them here, but in the second shot, you can see them reflected in the biulding across the street!!!

On my way back from my wanderings and jury duty "service", right as I was leaving Grand Park, there was this pretty cool trike parked there!!!

Years back, I'd bought myself a folding box cutter knife with a belt clip. It's pretty handy, and being a box cutter type, it has replaceable blades so you can always have a nice, sharp blade. On my way out, I was thinking to myself, "When you park, grab the phone charger cable from the center console, and leave your knife". I remembered half of that. Before I entered the courthouse, I remembered, and thought that maybe they wouldn't have an issue if I just tossed out the blade. The one guard at the metal detectors asked the other one, and they gave it the no-go, but they checked it and gave me a slip to pick it up on the way out.

And wanderings... I did a little!!! Found a couple of buildings with interesting architecture I hadn't seen before, this one with an overhanging edge with what looks like a hanging panel.

This is my first time on Jury Duty since I've began playing Pokemon GO, so that gives you incintives to do some wandering to areas you might not otherwise!!! While I was in line to check in, there was a one star Rockruff raid within distance that I did solo, since you don't see Rockruffs out in the wild. From the assembly room there were a few stops I was able to spin to keep my bag full, and I even used one of my lures on one since I don't usually sit in one place for that long. Of course, I got distracted on other things once I'd used it and didn't get many results!

So, onto the wanderings!!! When I got out, I saw there was another one star raid, off in a direction I've never walked from there before, towards Little Tokyo. I've been wandering in Little Tokyo before, but never from the courthouse. It was towards Phillippe's, and I apparently haven't been there since 2006, and was ready for breakfast so I considered making that another side trip!!! Another thing I'd seen from the courthouse was the OOMO Cube, a giant Rubik's Cube statue in Little Tokyo. I believe there's a Pokemon GO gym there, and I was thinking of spinning the photo disc to get a gift from there, but I never did. I was looking up on maps "giant Rubik's Cube statue Little Tokyo" and all it came up with was toy stores. Oh well.

Here's another interesting building, with some of the floors on what looks like a 30° angle!!!

On the way back, I saw there was a 5 star raid for Deoxys going on at the City Hall gym. There were already 7 or 8 other players waiting for the raid, so I was keen to join in. I was already on the area directly to the south of City Hall, but still far enough from the gym that it was requiring a remote raid pass. There was about a minute and a half, so I walked closer so I wouldn't have to use that remote pass, and joined. I think there were 13 or 14 of us by then, so it went easy!!! Nice!!!

Got a shot of City Hall from a direction I normally don't approach it, along with the flag.

I've never noticed this thing before, either!!! Looks like all it is is a cover for the escalators going to the train station. I should have inspected it closer, it may have some closeable louvers for if it were to rain!!!

Speaking of weather, we've been in the midst of our September heat wave, and it's over 100°. I probably would have done more wandering if it hadn't been so hot.

As I had suspected, there wasn't a lot going on at the courthouse. In the first couple of hours, they called one batch of prospective jurors. A little later, they called another batch, this one for a special jury. This case was expected to take around 40 days!!! They had filtered based on the summons survey for prospective jurors that would be likely to be able to serve, so I wasn't on their list, since I only get paid for 5 days (per company policy; however, I've always been told, "if it goes longer than 5 days, we'll work with you", but I have no idea what they mean by that). They were looking for prospective jurors who would be asked to return in a month.

A little later, before we would break for lunch, they started calling up people to one of the windows by groups of 6. The third group had me in it. Got to the window, and they checked my name off their list, gave me my completion paper and thanked me for coming. Not bad!!!

On my way back to the parking under the Disney Concert Hall, I passed by the dry fountain I'd noted in my previous post. It's still dry, but the newly added splash area below it was going for cooling off!!! Now I wish I'd brought my swim trunks!!!

No comments: