Friday, September 04, 2020

Sailor's Rest

When my sailing days are over,

And I sail the seas no more,

I shall build myself a refuge

By the ocean's murmuring shore.

As I watch the foaming breaker

When the tide comes rushing in,

I will contemplate my lifetime

With its virtues and its sins.

Where the azure of the heavens

Meets the undulating blue,

Where the sweeping, soaring seagull

Flies its endless quest for food.

It is there that I would rest,

When my work on earth is done,

At the endless blue horizon

'Neath the crimson, setting sun.

~D. R. Block

My father passed away last week. He'd had a stroke, and was in a coma for almost a week. He had a blood clot 5 centemeters long in an area of his brain that apparently was rather inaccessable. I don't know if the coma was drug induced or because of the stroke.

I went through and found pictures of him for this tribute post. The first is the Old Salt picture from way back. Next was from a few months back, in his studio. I really liked the colors on the painting he has there, and he framed it and gave it to me. He really got rolling on painting in the last year or so, even more so once the Wuhan Flu locked everything down. The third one was on our trip down to San Diego four years ago.

The next one is from my parent's 50th annaversary.

I think the next one is from two years back, off roading on some back trail in his truck. I shot quite a bit of video of the expidition, too, but it doesn't seem as dramatic as when you're riding in the truck.

From a few years back, at John's Incredible Pizza. I was trying to get a shot of his hat, it says, "Disgruntled Veteran, Leave Me Alone".

Another shot from his studio, not too long ago. He had some Bob Ross branded paint or stain he was trying out.

One of the paintings he was working on. I kind of like the colors. I think I'll claim it.

No comments: