Monday, January 20, 2020

Done with Mirrors

You will recall my bumper mod, and how I was dissatisfied with the results of the illumination. Here's what I've done to improve it some.

I drilled several holes through the plastic bumper core, in the areas that weren't getting good light transmission, both vertically and horizontally.

On the original installation, I'd thought it would diffuse enough light to illuminate the opening with the light strips facing up vertically on the metal bumper core, but I was mistaken.

So, after drilling the holes to allow the light to pass through, I mounted a strip of highly polished stainless steel on a 45° angle over the LED strips. The result looked promising...

Then, above the vertical series of holes, I added another strip, again on a 45° angle, for a periscope effect.

The blue light seems considerably more visible, and across a wider area. I'm pleased with the results!!! My goal from the beginning was to have the light diffused and subtle, yet across the openings.

The red light, however, is still a bit light. It's visible, but just barely. The picture actually has quite a bit of light scatter from the tail lights. I may be opening up the area one more time!!!

No comments: