Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Farewell

Much has happened I haven't blogged of. I should do more of that, it helps chronicle things.

The older boy and his lady split up, I want to say around the end of last summer. I don't know what happened, and he hasn't been forthcoming with any information, so guess it's none of my business.

Sometime just a bit prior to that, while both of them had been out job hunting, he'd stopped in at the Navy recruiter's office. Good move, those guys are always hiring!!! They told him signing bonus this and hazard pay that and maybe even G.I. Bill, and he was all like, "Where do I sign???"

He scored quite high on the Asvab test, and they always like that!!! I'm writing this one the eve of his departure. He's signed up for a 4 year hitch, and 4 years of reserves. I have a feeling once they get him trained they'll make him good offers to stay active duty after the first 4 years.

A couple weeks back we had a get-together with my parents and sister & her kids. Last chance to get everyone together before he leaves, and he'll be gone on his birthday, so an early celebration. Went to John's Incredible Pizza. Good times.

It was on Good Friday, so the younger was out of school. He wanted to do SOMETHING since he had the day off. I suggested going to the beach for a bit before we met up with everyone. It was a good day for it, albeit the surf was tiny.

Make note of all that hair. It's as good as gone. Actually, he 'skinned himself tonight.

Every time we go to the beach, we end up digging a fairly epic hole.

It's gonna be strange without him around. He's been here for almost 19 years now. He came out pretty good in spite of our haphazard parenting. I took him out for dinner last night, just the two of us. Gave him what little fatherly advice I could come up with before he goes. I don't think he needs that much.

Anchors aweigh, my boy!!!

No comments: