Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Throne Fit For A Sofa King

It started out simply enough. Two huge trash bags of clothes that are now way too big for my wife, and a trip to the Goodwill to offload them.

While we're there, I needed to run into their computer center to see if they have any sound cards. Last weekend they didn't have a one. Have I made mention here that I've put my wife's new computer together??? I don't think I have. The onboard audio and networking never would work. You can install the drivers that come with the motherboard, but that messes up the operating system EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! Screw that, I put in a PCI network card and ended up putting my boy's sound card into it. That left him without a sound card (which I thought he would no longer need with the USB speakers I got him for Christmas, but it turns out that the only thing they use the USB for is for the power to the speakers. Stupid.). Anyway, this week they were flush with sound cards!!! I found a couple of cherry looking Creative 128mb sound blaster cards right off. I've also been working on my aunt's comp, and mostly have it, but once again, the onboard audio doesn't want to work. I have more trouble with audio than any other thing.

Well, after that, my wife wanted to go the the St. Vincent's store around the corner and find a new dress or two. They have a much better selection and better organization there. First thing you see on the way in is furniture. 50% off chairs and sofas, today only. Hmmmmm.... I have been wanting to get a recliner.

There were only three or four recliners there. The brown one is a tad threadbare, but it is supremely comfortable. Upon closer inspection, it has a massaging back and butt, remote compartment in one arm, drink holder and magazine slot in the other. We had no idea if it worked or not, but it felt great to sit in and reclines soooo nice!!! The blue one is in a bit better condition, except the recliner handle isn't attached. I flipped it on it's back and it looks like a couple of bolts will attach it right back. It also swivels and is a glider-rocker too. Also very comfy. Paid for them with a $20 and had enough change to buy a couple of sodas!!!

All this was a great shopping experience, but the best was yet to come, it turned out!!! We had called up Aze's mom to see if she'd help us haul them in her little pickup before we bought them. No problems there. We got to our house, and there was a row of cars parked on the street there. Basketball players. Now, my street is very narrow, if there are any cars parked on it, only one car can make it by at a time. It is around a 10% grade, and I wasn't wanting to walk the chairs up or down half a block, so I told her to just park it by the steps to the yard and we'd hustle 'em out and then get her truck out of the way. Wifey took the boys upstairs and started getting a place prepared for the chairs while Aze's mom and I untied the chairs and started getting the first one out. We already had it hefted up, so after taking it up the steps to the yard, she suggested that we just continue up the steps to the house. Turned out to be easier. About the time we were getting snaked through the door, here comes someone down the street, and they start honking. Yea, we know, be right there. They honk again. About the time we get down there, one of the ball players has come out and is giving horney an earful. Oh yea, horney is driving one of those damned BMW mini vans. Typical. Ball player is telling the driver that we already knew after the first beep, no need to keep on honking, it's rather disturbing to the local residents, if you really have to get somewhere, back your ass up and go down the next street over. You could tell that the BMW's driver was being typical BMW driver. Aze's mom gets her truck out of the way (backwards down hellacious hill in a stick shift) and the BMW gets going, from what I can tell still bitching back to the basktballer. As they roll off, he bounces his ball off the back window. I gave the ball player a grin and a salute as he headed back. As we got the truck back in place, the BMW stops (a ways down the hill, but just opposite another parked car, blocking the street there, too!!! Do you think another car didn't try and come up while this was going on???) and asks us if we'd seen that, the ball player was being very agitating, and he hit their car. Ummm, nope, no one here saw a thing!!!

What a great day, I'll top it off by laying in my vibrating recliner!!!

3 comments:

susan said...

Now you have your Captain's chair, and it sounds like your ears are ready the hear the magic of music. Hmmmmm...
Goodwill is fantastic!
I always carry a goodwill receipt in my wallet as an aphorism.
Look Captain! Treasure!!! :)
Thank you for ssshhhaarriinnggg.

me said...

Wow, too cool! I enjoyed this story.

Thank you

Bethany said...

Most of the computers where I work don't have sound cards in them... it's very annoying. I'm in the smaller lab, the one dubbed "the music lab" because fewer people work in there and we're more likely to agree on music. Considering we do qualitative research, there are times when we need to listen to interview transcripts and such, which requires a sound card! My computer is one of the two that has one. This week I'm transcribing, but usually I'm the office DJ -- oh the power!

The chairs sound comfy and good. And yay to the basketball player! You guys were obviously doing the best you could and had no intention of blocking the street for the fun of it.