Sunday, September 03, 2023

Legen - Wait for It - Dary!!!

A while ago they released daily incense in Pokemon GO. Every day, you get an incense that lasts for 15 minutes, and is most effective while you're walking, and it gives you a summary of what you've caught with it at the end. Most of the Pokemon that spawn are rather pedestrian, but they have introduced the Galarian forms of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres!!!

These will sometimes appear while using your daily incense. While I've been using the daily incense, I've had probably a dozen or more encounters with these legendary birds, but hadn't caught a one, as they have a near 100% flee rate. My son, however, has gone months without a single sighting!!!

Another even more recent introduction is Master Balls, that have a guaranteed catch, and as it turns out, a rather intricate animation when you use it. Towards the beginning of this month, after I had attained one of these Master Balls, I get a Galarian Moltres while using my daily incense, and used it to catch it. Predictably, it has a most unimpressive rating, but finally got one!!!

A week ago, on my new weekday day off (I'm back on a weekend shift!!!) we're having Birthday get together at my mom's house for my sister and I. After we've eaten and had lush (a few years ago my wife found a recipe of lush, which everyone agrees is better than cake) my younger boy and I decide to go on a walk at the park by the house. As we go, naturally we've got our daily incense going. As we go along, my son has his first Legendary bird encounter, Articuno!!! He's heard a method, where you throw 20 ultra balls, and it'll increase your odds of getting a successful catch. I've tried a few times, and it hasn't helped. He tries, and the first one he throws after the 20 (along with a golden razz) it breaks out, and flees. As expected. He's not especially disappointed, the one he wanted is Zapdos. We proceed on. A couple minutes later, he gets another Articuno!!! We've never heard of two on a single incense, this seems like a glitch, but he tries the 20 baller again, with the same results. A minute later, he gets a third Articuno!!! Certainly unprecedented at this point!!! Again, it flees.

A few minutes later, the unbelievable occurs, he gets his fourth legendary, this time the coveted Zapdos!!! No escape this time, he uses his Master Ball, and he's got his Galarian Zapdos!!!

My son has named several of his favorite 'mons after foods. Naturally, he's named his Zapdos Orange Chicken, because it really looks like one!!! In honor of his Zapdos, we got Panda Express the next day!!!

No comments: